Thursday, January 7, 2010

There's just something about that Name

Last night was a deep joy in my soul. Worshipping my immortal Savior with my students is a treasure that I hold dearly. It amazes me how teenagers can gather together on a Wednesday night, to read an old book and sing songs of worship. What amazes me even more is the excitement many of them have in the process of worshipping their Savior. I don't see much of a "Mom forced me to be here" attitude in the room. I see passionate teenagers that love their Savior King. There's just something about the name of Jesus that draws attention.

Last night, I preached on the humanity and divinity of Jesus. We covered Luke 2:22-52. It was a large text to cover in just 40 minutes. With a weak voice and trembling knees, I felt the joy of the Mighty Spirit covering my lips to speak of the glory of my Lord. In true and genuine fashion, the students joined me with great concentration. Their joy and excitement draws me to WANT to preach...even with a suffering voice. There's just something about the name of Jesus that draws worshipful concentration.

After our service, Brooke and I joined the students at Taco Bell. I noticed a group of boys in the corner of the restaurant that were acting very antagonistic toward our group. I've seen these boys before in school as well as a few of them around my subdivision. I knew they were going to be bitter towards us in the restaurant from the time we were ordering our food in line. One of the guys was rude to Brooke...which caused me to say something to him. (I lose some of my preacher traits when it comes to protecting my sweet bride.) When the guys left the restaurant, they yelled to us, "We love Satan." It broke my heart. Brooke and I got into our car and talked about it on the way home. We both agreed that it was hard because they thought they were offending us. They didn't. They were pledging allegiance to the living adversary of the Most High. We weren't upset, we were hurt. If those boys don't repent and trust in the Living Savior, they will perish with the demon they jokingly claimed to love. Several thoughts came to my mind this morning about those guys as well as many I meet on a week to week basis. Please allow me to share some with you.

1. Making fun of Christians by claiming love for Satan contradicts the effort of opposition. For example, if one claims to love Satan, they must claim to have a belief in Jesus. Their idea of Satan comes from their understanding of Scripture (may be little, but still an understanding). If one believes in a figure known as Satan, they must believe in the figure of Jesus. So, to state a love for Him must mean they have rejected a Savior they know to exist. That is why the comment last night made me sad. Why be so foolish?

2. To love and embrace Christ is the purpose of worship. Students gathered last night in order to lavish their affections upon the Savior that shed His blood for their sins. When we pledge allegiance and faith in Christ, we receive the eternal riches of God's mercy and presence. We receive protection from His justice as well as adoption into His family (Ephesians 1:7, John 1:12).

3. Claiming love for God's adversary means you are willing to take the justice of God. This means you will join the demon you claim to love (or even in kidding...claim to love) in his punishment thru the justice of God (read Jude 1:6 and 2 Peter 2:4).

4. Claiming love for God's Son means you are willing to receive God's pardon for your sins. Instead of receiving His just wrath, you are receiving His love. (Romans 1-8, 1 John).

There's just something about the name of Jesus that draws me to worship. There's something about the name of Jesus that draws ridicule and bitterness. His Name is powerful and all together lovely (Psalm 8). One day, all the jokes and ridicules will be swept away with a blink of the eye according to Philippians 2:10-11. One day, we will see why His Name draws so much attention on this earth...It is the Name above all Names (Ephesians 1:21, Philippians 2:9).

There's just something about the Name of Jesus that strengthens my weak voice today. I love my Savior. I pray if you are reading this, you will join me in the chorus of worship. If you want more to chew on with His name, read Colossians 1.

An old song I used to sing with my family comes to mind with this post. I want to close out with offering them to you. Enjoy your Savior today.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus
There's just something about that name
Master, Savior, Jesus
Like the fragrance after the rain
Jesus, Jesus, Jesus
Let all heaven and earth proclaim
Kings and kingdoms shall all pass away
But there's something about that name.



Just some thoughts. Soli Deo Gloria!

Dave

No comments: