Friday, January 29, 2010

Worlds Apart

Have you ever thought about the idea that you are living on this side of glory? One day, as our hearts stop their rhythm, we will join our Father on His side of glory...that is; if we are in Christ. I'm amazed by this thought. Every day, I'm walking not just on the earth, but on the other side of glory from my Father. It's almost like I'm away from my future home. I'm a traveler, a foreigner, so to speak, in a land that is not mine. It reminds me of the feeling I have when I travel overseas. The sights, the people, the days are such a treasure to me. I don't really spend time complaining...because I'm drawn to a privilege of seeing a place that I know I'll only spend a small amount of time on. When I board the plane to travel home, I know I will have a welcome awaiting me. My favorite part of returning home is when the customs officer looks at me and says, "Welcome home."

Look at this amazing verse with me. "But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ." Philippians 3:20. What an incredible truth! When I'm away from the States, I tend to have an attitude of joy and peace because I know that soon I will be returning to my home...the place I'm FAMILIAR with. This theological truth has challenged much of my thought process in the past few weeks. Please permit me to share with you in points to what's on my mind. I ask in advance for your patience in my rambling.

1. Paul writes to the church at Philippi with a challenge to remain true in the faith, to avoid false teachings, to count all things as loss in comparison to Christ, to be like minded, and to deny the desires of the flesh. When we get to this verse, the command leaps off the page at us...to see our citizenship, our place, our position, and our future home is in glory with our Lord.

2. Why do we live without this excitement? Why do people put all of their drama on their facebook statues to get attention...or live without joy? Why do we pour out selfish appeals for attention instead of pointing to the One that daily appeals for the souls of the lost? Why do we treat this place as our permanent misery instead of our temporary joy before our departure? In such a "me-centered" culture...and church, it doesn't surprise me that many hold onto their current position without any thought to the future joy that awaits.

3. Why do we act without hope? Why do we take any obstacle and allow that to point attention t ourselves instead of the hope that our Lord is in control? I wish I could go back in my life and take the struggles...and point them more to the Savior. Since I am truly waiting for His return or His final rescue in my life...it would make sense that I would point my obstacles to His Home...

4. Why do we step without purpose? Just like our vacation times...I've wanted to take every step toward making the most of the days. For example, I wanted to speak to new folks, visit new sights, and soak in more air. Since our home is in glory, we should take our steps with purpose...not in vanity, but in full obedience to the Great Commission.

5. Why do we speak without happiness? If we have a home waiting for us, then it would seem that our words each day should be centered on the anticipation of returning home. It should mean that our words should invite others to join us. Our words should be centered on returning home...to the point that our faith is indeed REAL to others.

6. Why do we neglect the Savior? It is only in Christ that we have a future home. He is our treasure. He is our sole delight. He welcomes us to His Father's glory. He gives us the greeting of, "welcome home." We should live in such a way that we look forward to His glorious appearing.

I want to close with a song by Jars of Clay that has really blessed my soul this week. This is an old song, but a treasured song of mine. Enjoy.


I look beyond the empty cross
forgetting what my life has cost
and wipe away the crimson stains
"dull the nails that still remain"
More and more I need you now,
I owe you more each passing hour
the battle between grace and pride
I gave up not so long ago
So steal my heart and take the pain
and wash the feet and cleanse my pride
take the selfish, take the weak,
and all the things I cannot hide
take the beauty, take my tears
the sin-soaked heart and make it yours
take my world all apart
take it now, take it now
and serve the ones that I despise
speak the words I can't deny
watch the world I used to love
fall to dust and thrown away

Soli Deo Gloria!

Dave

No comments: