Friday, February 5, 2010

Anticipation like Christmas Eve

I feel like it's the night before Christmas and I'm still in elementary school. I remember the feelings of excitement, the joy of the unknown, and the anticipation of receiving in the day to come. That's how I feel these days in my home as Brooke and I wait for Eden to come. It's just a matter of days until that sweet girl will be in our home. I have the same feelings like I did on Christmas Eve,...but multiplied by an infinite amount. What a joyful privilege and gift the Lord has given us already in preparing to raise a child to taste and see that He alone is good. (Psalm 34) So many unknowns...so many questions...and so many hopes that my Eden will be born and saved by my merciful Lord (Ephesians 1:4, 2:1-5)

During this time of waiting, I've learned a sweet lesson in commentaries. In case you aren't familiar with this word, please permit me to give you my simple definition. A commentary on anything is some one's view or understanding of the text or scenario. In a Biblical sense, commentaries are written by pastors and theologians (should be the same...) in their attempt to teach what they see in the Scriptures. These days, I've put away commentaries and simply read the words from my Lord. He has provided me His perfect and brilliant commentary on Psalm 139 with my days of waiting for Eden. Oh how the words show the wonders of my Lord! He creates out of His Word. He reveals out of His glory. He saves out of His grace. The fact that you can read these words today should reveal to you His commentary 0f Psalm 139. Read it.

I can't wait to share with you the news of my Eden when she comes. Please continue to pray for Brooke as she delivers. Pray for me as I continue to follow the Holy Spirit in leading and serving my wonderful family.

Soli Deo Gloria!

Psalm 139 (from ESV translation)

Lord, you have searched me and known me!
2 You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
you discern my thoughts from afar.
3 You search out my path and my lying down
and are acquainted with all my ways.
4 Even before a word is on my tongue,
behold, O Lord, you know it altogether.
5 You hem me in, behind and before,
and lay your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
it is high; I cannot attain it.

7 Where shall I go from your Spirit?
Or where shall I flee from your presence?
8 If I ascend to heaven, you are there!
If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!
9 If I take the wings of the morning
and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
10 even there your hand shall lead me,
and your right hand shall hold me.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness shall cover me,
and the light about me be night,”
12 even the darkness is not dark to you;
the night is bright as the day,
for darkness is as light with you.

13 For you formed my inward parts;
you knitted me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.a
Wonderful are your works;
my soul knows it very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,

intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your book were written, every one of them,
the days that were formed for me,
when as yet there was none of them.

17 How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!
18 If I would count them, they are more than the sand.
I awake, and I am still with you.

19 Oh that you would slay the wicked, O God!
O men of blood, depart from me!
20 They speak against you with malicious intent;
your enemies take your name in vain!b
21 Do I not hate those who hate you, O Lord?
And do I not loathe those who rise up against you?
22 I hate them with complete hatred;
I count them my enemies.

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart!
Try me and know my thoughts!c
24 And see if there be any grievous way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting!

No comments: