Wednesday, February 17, 2010

God's work in a Name




My precious daughter was born at 9:13pm on Wednesday, February 10, 2010. The many hours of labor and emergency "C-Section" are just a blur to my bride now as she holds our girl in her arms. Words cannot fully express the emotions we have carried in us over the last week. In just a week of my daughter's life, I've learned so much about true Biblical fatherhood and leadership. John 3:30 is one of many verses that has drawn my steps to live selflessly, in order for my bride to recover and my daughter to develop. I love this. I can see why being a husband and father far exceeds my role as a minister. However, I don't see my roles separated. Being a husband and father has given me more passion and revival to serve in the capacity of ministry. I think separating the roles is more dangerous than healthy. Today, I'm captivated by the beauty of Brooke and Eden...which draws my joy to a healthy love for the church. I praise my gracious Father for the joy of my family. I truly believe the addition of Eden has increased my love for the family of faith that we belong to.

God works wonders in a name. Yesterday, as Eden was asleep in my arms, I read Psalm 8. If you haven't read it yet, take time today and glance over it. At the conclusion of this post, I'll include it at the bottom. God works wonders in a name. Here are some from the Bible to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

Abraham - "Father of many"
Amittai - "My Truth"
Asher - "Blessed or Happy"
Boaz - "Swiftness"
David - "Beloved"
Ebenezer - "Stone of Health"
Eden - "Place of Pleasure"
Elisha - "My God is Salvation"
Eliud - "God is Grandeur"
Gabriel - "Strong Man of God"
Habakkuk - "Embrace"
Hannah -"Grace"
Israel - "God Contended"
Jeremiah - "YAHWEH is uplifted"
Jesus - "YAHWEH is salvation"

Ok, I'll stop at Jesus. I hope you get the idea. Take some time and research the names that appear in the Bible. I hope it will be a treasured time for you. There is power in a name. What does your name mean? After reading Psalm 8, I see worship centered on simply His Name alone. I love how the Psalmist cries out a majestic song of praise to the name of our Lord. We named our daughter; Eden Chara Snyder for multiple reasons. Below, I'd like to submit to you a few that have increased my joy in my Lord over the last week. At the conclusion of that, I will post Psalm 8. Thank you for reading!

Eden - Her first name ties the idea of pleasure into our family. In the past week, she has indeed been a pleasure to us. I love watching her open her gorgeous blue eyes and stare into mine. I love seeing her attempt to smile when she has a few minutes of awareness before her sleep takes her. Eden has brought such a pleasure to my soul that translates into a deeper pleasure for my Lord. She has been my living commentary on Psalm 139 over the past 7 days. The Lord gave her life to us to give me more of a pleasure for my family and my church. I've been reminded of the pleasure that surrounds me when a body of believers lift one another up for the purpose of edifying the kingdom and praising the Savior that ransomed us from the debt of sin! Hallelujah!

Chara - Her middle name comes from the Greek New Testament word for joy. Eden has indeed been a joy to us. In the mornings when I tend to have my time of devotional with my Lord, Eden often sleeps on my chest. When my joy is complete in being in the presence and fellowship of my Lord...my daughter adds increased joy to her presence with her daddy. As I have joy from my Father in Heaven, my sweet daughter gives me joy when she is with me. I pray one day she will be graciously led to salvation and will shed joy to others with the happiness she has with her Savior.

I've left Snyder off because that's my last name...and I 'm tired. I guess I could say she will one day love pretzels?

God works in a Name. Friend, 2,000 years ago, He sent the name of Jesus (YAHWEH IS SALVATION) to remove the penalty of our sins (Romans 6:23, John 3:36), to rise again on the third day (John 20), and to cover us with the eternal love of our glorious Father (Romans 5). Won't you repent (turn away from your selfish and sinful living) and turn to His glorious grace found at the expense of His only Son? I pray you will find both an Eden (place of pleasure) and Chara (abounding joy) in the fellowship of our Father in glory.

Psalm 8, ESV translation
1 O Lord, our Lord,
how majestic is your name in all the earth!
You have set your glory above the heavens.
2 Out of the mouth of babies and infants,
you have established strength because of your foes,
to still the enemy and the avenger.

3 When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars, which you have set in place,
4 what is man that you are mindful of him,
and the son of man that you care for him?

5 Yet you have made him a little lower than the heavenly beings
and crowned him with glory and honor.
6 You have given him dominion over the works of your hands;
you have put all things under his feet,
7 all sheep and oxen,
and also the beasts of the field,
8 the birds of the heavens, and the fish of the sea,
whatever passes along the paths of the seas.

9 O Lord, our Lord,
how majestic is your name in all the earth!

Soli Deo Gloria!
Dave

No comments: