Sunday, February 21, 2010

Pocked Call from a Saint


I just got off the phone with Boyd Smith, my student ministry mentor. Boyd didn't mean to call, he pocked-called. If you aren't familiar with that term, it basically means Boyd put his cell phone in his pocket and bumped it enough to call mine. I'm so glad he pocked-called, because I got to hear my mentor spend some time with his students in the last session of their D-Now weekend. I heard the beautiful song of fellowship within teenagers and their youth pastor.


I first met Boyd in the late fall of 2000 at Murray State University. Immediately, he took me under his wing and helped me learn ministry. Boyd made a few calls and helped me (with the Holy Spirit's direction), land my first student ministry position at West Fork Baptist Church. After two years of serving that sweet church, Boyd invited me to join him on staff at First Baptist Murray...a time of my life that I still treasure. For just 1 year, I got to work side by side with my mentor. Boyd showed me how to connect with students, reach the lost, and preach the Gospel with great faithfulness. Boyd was so patient with me in my time of development as a leader. He treated me with the up most respect and tenderness. After that year was completed in his ministry, I left for seminary in New Orleans. I still miss those days with my dear brother. Having him next to me in my wedding party was another treasure that I pray I'll always hold in my heart.


Boyd has been a student minister for quite a while now. I'm sure he will hit me for saying this, but he is in his mid-50's now. Most arrogant "ministry professionals" would look at his age and make the call that it's time for Boyd to move on. I fully disagree. Some pastors would probably suggest a position of working with senior adults or older families. I fully disagree. Some experts of student ministry would claim that he is too far removed from relating to students. I fully disagree. In the 20 minutes of listening to Boyd Smith talk with his students, I sat in my quiet time chair, praising the Lord for the faithfulness of my mentor. He connects better with students than I do...and I'm currently 27.


I would gladly forfeit my student ministry position to Boyd Smith in a heartbeat. His age means nothing to me when it comes to his ability and anointing to be an excellent youth minister. His knowledge of the Word, His compassion for hurting students, and his excellent way of mentoring young men is rare these days. It seems younger ministers want larger churches, more press, more esteem, more books written...and fewer time with people. I praise the Lord that Boyd Smith is paving the way today for many younger men...including me.


Today, I was pocked-called from a saint. I hope to one day enjoy fellowship with him as a few states separate us. I pray those students at FBC Murray will receive the grace from our Sovereign Lord in the form of a true youth PASTOR that will help lead them to graze in glorious pasture.


Boyd, even though you didn't mean to...thanks for calling me today. What a joy it was, my friend, to hear you love and lead your students.


Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments: