Wednesday, December 9, 2009

What really is joy?

In case you haven't heard yet, my daughter's middle name will be Chara, which from the Greek New Testament translates, "joy." Lately, I've been thinking about what this word really means. When someone says, "I have joy," what does that mean? Do they have momentary happiness because their cards are all lined up? Do they have emotional celebration because they are loved, their kids are well behaved, or they've had success in their jobs? What does it really mean to have joy?

A great resource that I recommend you to read is found in a little book called, In Our Joy by John Piper. This small book will only take you a few hours to read. I'd recommend visiting www.desiringgod.org and order a few copies. They run only $1 each. In this small book, Piper offers beautiful Scriptures to remind us of our joy that we have in Christ. One verse that has been saturated on my heart is found in Matthew 13:44. In this verse, directly after the beautiful passage on the Parable of the Sower, Jesus offers us a taste of what true joy is. A man finds a treasure hidden in a field...leaves it there, sells all he has and buys the field! I'm sure many that saw the field were confused and perplexed to why he would make such a radical move. Who would really sell all they have and buy a field that seems to have nothing visibly appealing? Who would rejoice in such a radical decision? My friend, I would submit to you today that this man had true joy.

We lose the beauty and joy in the Gospel in church today. So often, I hear words that offer people to just trust in Jesus and walk forward. I hear words that don't fully articulate the grandeur of our Savior! True joy is found when you and I give up our selfish treasures, our selfish motives, our plans, our expectations, our goals; and we humbly sell them and receive the free purchase of Christ, our Redeemer. His blood on the cross and His glorious resurrection from the grave is our source of true joy.

There is a house down the road from me that has several Ford mustangs. It seems that everyday when I drive by the home, I see a man outside working and admiring his cars. Their garage is full of expensive models as well as a few outside parked in their driveway. I don't know anything about this man because he doesn't even live on my street. However, when I see him outside cleaning those cars, I wonder where his treasure lies. When he dies one day, who will receive those cars? Will those cars cause fights among the family? Will those cars be auctioned off in order to pay for potential debt or other issues? Was it really worth the time and effort to spend countless hours on them?

Jesus made it very clear to us about our joy when he spoke powerful words in Matthew 6:19-24. I'd encourage you to take some time today and read that passage. It basically teaches us that treasures in this world will be destroyed one day. However, our treasure, like the treasure in the field that the man rejoiced over, will never be destroyed. Friend, our treasure and our joy is in Christ. He is the only One that truly satisfies, truly saves, and truly gives our souls eternal happiness. You can simply read all of Matthew 5 to get that!

My sweet daughter is already a joy to me. I can't wait to meet her. I pray her middle name will magnify the eternal joy that I hope she will share with me in the glorious Savior.

No comments: