Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Who do you have?

I remember as a child wanting several different things for Christmas. Some of those things were mixed with other things that are now sitting in my garage. Some of those things were cherished gifts that still remain on my heart. Please permit me to share one with you today.

In the 6th grade, Adidas soccer company made a line of jackets that several of my friends had. I remember for almost 3 weeks, coming to my parents and begging, "I HAVE to have this jacket!" Of course, I didn't have to own that jacket. Of course, it was materialistic. Of course, I was a typical, annoying boy that was begging for something that was self-centered. Of course, by grace, I look back now as an adult and laugh over the way I acted. I laugh, but I also weep, because I see that same attitude in some of my students in my church.

Christmas morning arrived. I woke up and ripped into my presents like a high tide smashing a surfer. I came to the last gift...and behold, it was the Adidas jacket! For the next few weeks, I wore that jacket everywhere! I would wear that jacket even if I didn't have to wear it! I wanted my friends to see my new prize. I wanted my family to see the true joy I thought I had in the jacket. After a few months when the momentary feeling went away, that jacket ended up in a closet and later given away. Why was it so important to me at that time?

What do you have? Who do you have? What truly is the desire of your heart? Will it pass away or be swept away like the foolish man who built his foundation on sand? (Matthew 7:24-27). Will it be like the fool who stores up for himself treasures on earth that are destroyed by moths and thieves? (Matthew 6:19-20). This morning, this rich verse was the meditation on my soul. I'd like to share it with you:

Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides You. - Psalm 73:25

I pray you will wake up each day with this verse on your heart. I pray you won't get wrapped into an emotional frenzy of clinging to stuff that eventually fades away. I can promise you that I'm living testimony that so much of the junk that I wanted to HAVE in my life truly never satisfied. I am also a living testimony that the Living, Sovereign, Lord of this World completely satisfies! His wrath for your sin and mine was satisfied on the cross of His only Son. His mercy is satisfied when any sinner repents and turns to Jesus Christ. His joy is satisfied when we cling to Him and find Him to be our only true treasure. His glory is satisfied when we as His church shine His brilliant light to a lost and dark world.

What do you have? Who do you have? May this short verse strike a chord of a daylong worship service in your heart today.

Soli Deo Gloria!

Dave

1 comment:

Canyon Shearer, DMin said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56HR7RhzZE4

:)