Wednesday, June 9, 2010

RED LETTERS...not man's letters

I just returned a few days ago from an incredible weekend with my High School students at CrossPoint. The focus for the weekend camp was THE RED LETTERS. When you look at the New Testament Scriptures, you will see the words Jesus spoke in red. This has always signified the grace and love He poured on the cross with His own blood. I was raised in a glorious home in which every time the RED LETTERS appeared...I automatically saw Jesus. It seems in most churches and ministries, the RED LETTERS have been replaced by man's letters. Please permit me to explain.

Mark 10:35-40 reveals to us the sinful desire for James and John to have their own letters next to the RED LETTERS of Jesus. In other words, they wanted the high position of worthy standing next to Jesus. What was the motive? I'm not fully sure what the motive was...but I do see much of it in today's society. We trust in the blogs, notes, leadership, direction, encouragement, guidance, and wisdom of man...and neglect to live under the joy of the Gospel. The way Jesus responded to this request should prompt us to live under His RED LETTERS.

Mark 10:45 served as our main verse for one of the three sessions this past weekend. In this verse, Jesus said, "For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." The RED LETTERS, the Gospel of our Lord can be clearly defined in this singular verse. We are ransomed by the grace of our Almighty God, paid for in full on the cross. It's not that we exist to do great things for Him. I believe He does great things in us...for Himself. It's not selfish. It's glorious. Who can compare to Him? He has no rival outside of His Triune nature. The RED LETTERS should spark in us the joy that in our sinful living and our selfish motives...our Savior ransomed us to receive the beautiful grace of His righteousness. In other words, we receive the undeserved favor of receiving the rightful standing needed in order to enter glory for all eternity. With that being said...what letters do we have to offer?

Some practical ways I've seen man's letters attempt to take the spotlight of the RED LETTERS are in the following.

1. "Your leadership motivates me to be a better Christian." Apart from the RED LETTERS, man cannot possibly lead. We lead only by the RED LETTERS.

2. "Your blog, your notes inspire me every day." Again, the RED LETTERS should give us the inspiration needed daily...for in the RED LETTERS, we are saved.

3. "Your encouragement is ALL I need." Well, encouragement is great (Hebrews 3:13), but we receive eternal encouragement in the Savior that all of Hebrews 3 talks about!

These are some of many practical ways in which man's letters are brought into picture. Friend, I struggle with this. Sometimes in the back of my mind...I wonder, "Was that sermon good?" or, "Am I good at what I do?" I tend to have the temptation almost daily to rely on my letters and not the RED LETTERS of my Savior. Repentance is a must in this area. The joy of His RED LETTERS forgives me when I want my own letters to interfere. He is gracious. He is all worthy of my praise.

May we not lean on our own understanding (Proverbs 3:5) or our own desire to lead (1 Corinthians 1:12); but may we live under the grace of His Gospel; His RED LETTERS.

Soli Deo Gloria!

Dave

No comments: