Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Starting RIGHT not RELIGIOUS


This morning, my sweet Eden woke up at 6am. Normally, her wake up time is between 6:45am - 7:45am. I fell for the deception that each morning would carry the same routine. This morning, my routine was thrown off and the ugly monster of my sin of religion came down like softball size hail on my heart. Please allow me to explain.

For the past 8 years, I have blocked out about an hour each morning for much needed devotional time to my Lord. Some days changed, but for the most part the schedule was consistent. My quiet times consist of Scripture reading, praying, journaling, and reading books to help me understand the Word better. I usually drink about a half pot of coffee in that time. This routine started after a challenge by my BFF Jonathan in the summer of 2002. His challenge was to try better consistency with my morning times with the Lord. I'm so glad I took that challenge. I love the mornings.

Well, I've learned as a new father that my desires can often be selfish. Some may argue that having consistent time each morning with the Lord is the main priority of the day. In most ways, I would agree. However, I've noticed that my routine can sometimes be the sin of religion hidden in complacent expectations. If I'm used to having an hour of devotion and then because of unexpected events, that time is shortened, why do I get upset? Why do I believe that time is my time without any interruptions? Why do I get in a bad mood when I'm thrown off my routine? I believe it is because of my sin of religion.

This morning, Eden woke up and changed my routine. I loved it. I walked into her dark room and watched her do her morning dance while making her joyful noises. Her dance consists of kicking her feet in the air and moving her shoulders back and forth. She looked at me with her gorgeous blue eyes and even giggled some. I loved it. I believe the morning started out RIGHT. Instead of rushing her to fall back asleep, I enjoyed the grace of being a father. Instead of stressing out because I didn't have time to write in my journal or read a few chapters in the Word, I enjoyed the blessing of new life waking up to blissful unknowns. Instead of praying for my needs and expectations, I held her in my arms and prayed for the grace of my Lord to one day save her. I started the morning out RIGHT, and praised my Father for the love He placed in my soul in being Eden's father.

Eden fell back asleep and I had about an hour to spend with my Lord. Another lesson learned today. May religion not stick it's ugly head in my soul anymore. May worship not be defined in morning rituals but rather heartfelt devotion to the only One that is mighty to save. May serving my daughter and loving her draw me to sweeter times with my Father in glory.

Psalm 63 really jumps out at me with this post. Take a few minutes and read it. Live in the RIGHT and avoid the RELIGIOUS temptations of the day.

Soli Deo Gloria!

Dave

No comments: