Sunday, July 4, 2010

Allegiance...to whom?


I'm typing these words on the day of my nation's Independence. This day will consist of families coming together, friends investing in one another, plenty of food, live music, and the culmination that everyone waits for...FIREWORKS. It's a fun day. I enjoy these days. However, in the midst of all the celebrating, I fear the tendency we all have in forgetting what the day is about. Do we honestly think about our forefathers who fought against the British in order to preserve for us a separate nation? Do we honestly think about the victory that was won in order for us to have freedom? I'm not convinced many of us think about that when we go about in our celebrating. I admit, I don't think about it much...and I should. I'm not what you would call a "Proud American," because, I see my country in desperate need for repentance and salvation. However, I am drawn to the conclusion that this day should prompt believers to look ultimately at the sacrifice our Savior bore on the cross in order for us to celebrate daily the liberation we have in Christ!


For just a moment, look over Hebrews 13. If you don't have a Bible with you, I encourage you to check out http://www.biblos.com/. That site will give you Scriptures...in many translations with helpful explanations. Go ahead and read, I'll wait.


How important is this day to you? How important is this day in other countries? How important is each day that the Lord has made? Is Christ the center of them all? One verse that jumps out at me in Hebrews 13 is found in verse 8 when the writer declares, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever." I love this rich verse! Each day offers us a time of celebration over the joy of His conquering sin and death for the freedom we have to enter the presence of His Father. We don't really have to wait on day a year...or even a day a week to celebrate that truth. Jesus Christ is the SAME. In other words, He is unchanging. He never fails. He never disappoints.


My country seems to change alot. We change leaders. We change laws. We change the way we think and view certain issues. There is no consistency. In the midst of my personal frustration, I see a need to find all my allegiance in the ONE who is the SAME...today...and the infinite days to come. I see the joy in the fact that above my country being freed from the hold of Britain, my Savior freed ALL NATIONS to be free from the captivity of sin. I'm sure you saw verses in Hebrews 13 that jumped out at you. 2 issues that rob America are found in that chapter; sexual immorality (v.4) and the love of money (v.5). We have a free nation...but I would argue that we are still in slavery to those sins. The only remedy is found at the cross. Want a release from sexual sins? Find allegiance in Christ alone. Want a release from the worship of money? Find allegiance in Christ alone. This nation can't help you in your problem with sin. Only Christ can help, because only Christ has made the sacrifice needed in order to have freedom.


Allegiance..to whom? Join me today as I pray for my country in hopes that she will see the need for the Savior and rejoice in the freedom that He alone sacrificed to give.


Soli Deo Gloria!


Dave

1 comment:

Canyon Shearer, DMin said...

Awesome thought, brother, you captured my sentiments exactly. I preached at Lake Acworth yesterday on basically this exact topic except my text was from 2 Tim 2:26, John 8:36, and 2 Corinthians 3:17. I concluded with, "As you enjoy the fireworks this evening and remember the temporal freedom of this nation, remember Jesus Christ risen from the dead, for if the Son sets you free, you shall be free, free indeed!"

Keep up the good fight, praying for you!
Canyon