Sunday, July 18, 2010

Dancing in the bath

I just finished helping Brooke with Eden's bath. Giving her a bath to end the day is a treasure. Her beautiful blue eyes light up like a Roman Candle as soon as she touches the warm soapy water. She often giggles as we sing to her songs involving the bath experience. At the conclusion of each bath, Eden dances. She stomps her feet in the soapy water and smiles in artistic fashion as the water splashes over the sink. We laugh. We enjoy the moment. The last thing on my mind is to clean the dance. Well, I think of it after the girls leave me with bathroom cleanup. During the moment, it is a treasure.

In 2 Samuel 6:16-23, King David danced with unceasing joy as the ark of the Lord was brought into the city. He couldn't help but dance in the presence of the Lord. His joy was contagious. We need more people with joy like this. We need more bath dancers. Sometimes, we get so boggled down with the trivial and less concerned with the joyful privileges. I sometimes find myself in the shows of Michal. Her prideful, legalistic, and self-centered life was offended by the celebration of the King. She was more concerned with the opinions of the important people in that day. We tend to become like Michal. We want a religious routine without the dance. We want the controlled rather than the freedom.

Seeing Eden dance in the bath tonight brought a gentle note to the score of worship in my soul. I want to live my life with such joy that each step I take in the presence of the Lord is like a baby dancing in the bathtub.

Soli Deo Gloria!

Dave

No comments: