Sunday, January 18, 2009

kaleo meets parakaleo


This is a picture my friend Moo gave me. I found it fitting to put it here with this past weekend's experience.
Well, I'm writing this blog after spending a wonderful weekend with high school students and my adult leaders in Copper Hill, TN. It was a great time of worship and fellowship. It was a blessing to my soul. I still can't believe that I get paid for what I do. Please permit me to share with you this evening what the Lord impressed upon my heart.

During the weekend, we looked at the word kaleo, which in the Greek language stands for, "to call, bid, summon, etc." It's a powerful word. It contains powerful theology (the study of God). Our three sessions were entitled: Called into Existence " Paul writes in Romans 4:17, 'as it is written, "A FATHER OF MANY NATIONS HAVE I MADE YOU") in the presence of Him whom he believed, even God, who gives life to the dead and calls into being that which does not exist." This passage revealed to us the wonders of God calling us into life. The next session focused on Summoned to Repentance. Here, we looked at Luke 5:32, when Jesus said, "I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance."." This powerful verse reminded us that we are called to Christ, but it comes out of a repentant heart. Finally, we ended the weekend with session 3 on God's Desire in the Call. This session looked at Hebrews 11:8, when the writer wrote, "By faith Abraham, when he was called, obeyed by going out to a place which he was to receive for an inheritance; and he went out, not knowing where he was going." WOW! We are called to existence, called to salvation through repentance, and finally we are called to follow God Almighty to anyplace that He calls...even if it means we don't know where we are going. I can go on and on with this word, but with a few hours of sleep in my body, I must conclude my thoughts soon.

Ok, so I did my job as the youth minister. I organized a retreat. I taught 3 sessions on a simple but yet powerful word. I got my group safely to the site and brought them ALL back. I did my job... right? Well, please permit me to share with you how my students and adults twisted that word kaleo to a different word...which ministered to my soul. The word they taught me...parakaleo. Ever heard of it? (I blogged on it last year). I'll remind you what it stands for. In Hebrews 3:13, we see a powerful verse: "But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called "Today," so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin". This word "encourage" comes from parakaleo. This word literally translates, " to call near, i.e. invite, invoke (by imploration, hortation or consolation) -- beseech, call for, (be of good) comfort, desire, (give) exhort(-ation), intreat, pray. In other words, it means to "to call near for good comfort, desire, and exhortation. How did they call near to me? How did they call to my aid and encourage my soul? They suffered with me with great joy over a terrible Saturday morning...

On Saturday, we woke up to several problems. First of all, it was about 4 degrees outside! This weather caused the pipes to freeze; thus taking away running water. On top of that, the cabins weren't properly heated; thus giving us 30 degree rooms. On top of that, most of the staff were trying to fix the problems (which they did a great job), which led to us losing some activity time. It seemed that the problems continued... But to my amazement, my students still had joy. Some went outside and played frisbee. Some stayed inside and played cards (the smart ones). Some read their Bibles. Some talked with others they didn't know well. They didn't complain hardly at all, and taught me a very valuable lesson of encouragement. Even though not all of them came directly to me with words of encouragement; their attitude and willingness to endure the setback was a way that they called out to my aid with love. Their encouragement got me through a tough morning. Our gracious Father blessed us with a great rest of the weekend together. We are home. I'm tired, but still, I find myself overwhelmed with encouragement from my students. I love them.

I went to teach a word called kaleo. I left with a word taught to me; parakaleo. Soli Deo Gloria! To God alone be the glory!


Blessings,


Dave


1 comment:

Brooke said...

I loved this weekend and I know I have a bad attitude, but I don't EVER want to live through Friday night again! I am so grateful that you and our students are so good at parakaleo because otherwise I would not have survived through this weekend! And, strangely enough, somehow in the end I had a really good time and awesome memories :)