Saturday, January 3, 2009

O Brother where art thou?



This is a picture of my old band. In the summer of 2005, we played together in musical worship for the glory of King. Spending a few months with them was such a joy. We did practice Matthew 5:23-24. I miss them.
Have you ever tried to do something in your life while holding anger in your heart toward another? Have you ever tried to laugh when you are angry? Have you ever tried to be a romantic poet while upset? Have you ever tried to worship while being angry? I've learned something very valuable in my life at an early age; when I'm angry, I must seek a remedy before I even attempt to make the next step.

I know what you're probaly thinking right now: Dave is angry. Well, I'm not really (not right now). This morning, I read a powerful passage in Matthew 5:23-24 that got me thinking. Jesus said in His great sermon, "Therefore if you are presenting your offering at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you leave your offering there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and present your offering." Wow. What else can I add to that? This is right in the middle of a great chapter in Matthew when Jesus addressed the law and declared that He came not to abolish it... but to FULFILL it! (see Matthew 5:17). What can we learn from this? I think a whole lot.

I remember so many times in which I gathered to worship corporately with my church family and left empty. I left feeling superficial. I guarantee that the root of those feelings came from unresolved conflict. Why is it that Christians hold grudges and yet try to walk as "the salt of the earth" (Matthew 5:13). Why is it that Christians try to bring their "best" in worship or dress their "best" or speak their "best" in worship, but not take time to resolve conflict with another? Friend, I believe we must come to God honest. I believe confession isn't just a simple prayer that gets us out of line for hell and in line for heaven, but a daily discipline (see 1 John 1:8-9). In fact, read all of 1 John! We must strive to seek God Almighty, who reconcilled us to Him through His glorious Son... we ought to seek reconcilliation with others to follow our King! (see Matthew 5:48).

Here is what I want you to do. Before you pray, before you sing a praise chorus, before you teach a Bible study; seek after those that you need to be reconciled with. This word reconcile is an interesting word. In the text, it is the word: diallasso (dee-al-las'-so: to change thoroughly, i.e. (mentally) to conciliate -- reconcile.) How can we receive this change thoroughly? It comes from the Father. Seek First His Kingdom and His righteousness and remain obedient to His Word that calls you and I to drop our worship, our offering and get right with our brothers and sisters before we try to come to Him. (If you want more of a challenge, read 1 Corinthians 11, when Paul talks about the Lord's Supper...what we are called to do! Do you practice this?)

A great book I recommend to you: "Everybody's normal till you get to know them" by John Ortberg.


1 comment:

Brooke said...

I love the sermon on the mount, but Jesus' words are so convicting! And yet, of course, He is absolutely right! I can't think of a better way to impede worship then to have bitterness in your heart. I'm so glad he encourages us to resolve conflict in this way.