Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Living for His Glory


I've been asking myself one question all morning: "How can I live every second of every day for the glory of God?" I'm captivated by God's glory. It's moved me to the point in which thinking of myself makes me sick. I'm not trying to sound self-righteous. I'm not trying to sound boastful. I'm trying to communicate a truth that I believe the Spirit is pouring into the deepest core of my soul. I delight in the Glory of God my Father. I delight in His saving grace by reconciling me to Himself through the blood of His only Son; Jesus Christ, my Savior and Lord. I was once an enemy, but now through Jesus Christ, I am an adopted child. Look at this verse with me: "But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name." (John 1:12) Why would He adopt us, call us, choose us, elect us to Himself? I believe it is for His glory. Jesus called us to salvation to receive this marvelous glory. Look at this verse: "Father, I desire that they also, whom You have given Me, be with Me where I am, so that they may see My glory which You have given Me, for You loved Me before the foundation of the world."(John 17:24) What a gift! What else would I talk about? What else could I boast in? I'm sick of thinking, talking, dreaming, wanting, speaking, singing, walking, working, reading, praying, studying, leading, loving...only for myself. If you were to think with me for just a moment, you may find yourself in the same boat that I'm in. I find myself to be a very selfish person in many ways. The Glory of God the Father has captivated my attention this morning. I only want to boast in Him.

What has He done? Why is He worthy of our praise? Why would we want to delight in His Glory? Look at this verse with me: "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith. This was to demonstrate His righteousness, because in the forbearance of God He passed over the sins previously committed for the demonstration, I say, of His righteousness at the present time, so that He would be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus." (Romans 3:23-26). God is worthy of all praise for He passed His justice of our sinful nature over to His Son. He cancelled our debt. He erased our fine by sending His Son to pay it all. What amazes me is that His Son was so passionate about the glory of His Father! Look at these verses: "Now My soul has become troubled; and what shall I say, 'Father, save Me from this hour '? But for this purpose I came to this hourFather, glorify Your name." Then a voice came out of heaven: "I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again." (John 12:27-28) Jesus died...not just thinking of us. Jesus died...not just only because He loved us. Jesus died...to glorify His Father. He died out of obedience to His Father. Glory. Jesus proclaimed the glory of His Father. What do we proclaim?

I'm sick of thinking of only myself. I'm sick of worship that is man-centered. I'm sick of hearing and reading anything that negates the glory of God. I exist for His glory. I'm captivated by it today.

Thank you for taking the time to read my thoughts. I have not catchy closing line. I just wanted to share with you what I believe the Spirit has spoken to me. I like what John Piper writes about the glory of God, "God is glorified precisely when we are satisfied in Him - when we delight in His presence, when we like to be around Him, when we treasure His fellowship. This is an utterly life-changing discovery. it frees us to pursue our joy in God and God to pursue His glory in us because they are not two different pursuits. God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him." (John Piper, Let the Nations be Glad, page 32).

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I also like the way Merida put it "God is glorified when our lives reflect His attributes or characteristics." Sometimes it's hard for me to wrap my mind around what it means to glorify God, but to try to live like Christ, that's something I can work on!