Tuesday, June 2, 2009

First Night in Colossians

Last night, we started our journey through Colossians. It was a rich night of fellowship and worship as we allowed the Word of Truth to saturate our souls. I love studying the Scriptures and seeing with my own eyes the majesty of His Word. Brooke began the night by quoting Colossians 1 by memory. I was so blessed. 29 verses, straight from her soul that she spent the week meditating on. I want to encourage you...memorize the Word in passages! It brings the message to even deeper meanings. Colossians focuses on:

1. Paul's pastoral concern for the church.

2. The Supremacy of Christ

3. The importance of sound doctrine/attack against heresies

4. The joy of walking in a matter worthy of the Lord.

It cracks me up that when I'm in a deep pursuit of studying and meditating on God's Word, I'm attacked in many areas. For example, in the past 24 hours, I've observed these hits:

1. Our numbers are currently low. Last night, we had twice the amount of adults as we did students. (I'm not much of a numbers guy...but since today I'm a youth minister...why aren't they coming to hear the Word?)

2. I help lead a service at my church that is focused primarily on teaching good theology in music while introducing a "simple" or "contemporary" style. We've been doing this since January, and the only notes we've been given were negative...and negative in a sense that has nothing to do with worship, just selfish musical taste.

3. This morning, I caught word that our air conditioners are not working in the student center. It's getting hot, the money is low, and we have a need that impacts our weekly ministry.

So, in all of this, I have to make a decision. Am I going to allow it to ruin my day... or will I rejoice in the current suffering because of the majesty of the Savior that rescued me? I'm so blessed to have a wife that loves the Lord, and loves me. Brooke truly is a blessing and my greatest source of encouragement. I believe Jesus paid it all. I believe the tomb is empty. I believe that my first night in Colossians revealed to me the joy of Christ, the power of the Word, the privilege of walking in His power and might, and the promise that God will ultimately be glorified, no matter what takes place this side of heaven. Oh Spirit, lead the bride, and help us to fulfill your great commission.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Dave

No comments: