Monday, June 8, 2009

The Word in the Park

I just got back from teaching Colossians 2 at the park. Tonight, about 30 students and adults gathered inside a pavilion to hear the Word. I love the summer nights. I love having time with my students outside the walls of my office and seeing the light of my Savior shine brilliantly in them. I love the fellowship and the hearts that are so eloquently "knit together" (Colossians 2:2); the evidence of the true church. Tonight, we had church in the park. It was beautiful and much needed after a tough day in the office. I know my God is faithful daily to provide to me His direction and His will, for His Spirit dwells within me (Romans 8:9). I know His love continues to shine through the darkness of this fallen world (1 Peter 2:9). I pray that if you've had a bad day or a rough day, His Word will satisfy your hunger and His church will rise up and knit your heart within hers. It's a beautiful testimony of His grace when the church rises up to worship and fellowship together; all because His glory dwells within. I loved having church in the park tonight.

Brooke quoted the first 2 chapters of Colossians tonight...all by memory. It was amazing and inspiring for my students and adult leaders to see. One college student approached her afterwards and asked, "why did you memorize all of that?" and, "what is the purpose of doing that?" Brooke was floored. So was I. I guess my answer is... WHY WOULDN'T YOU? If you have tasted and seen that He is good, His Word is eternal, and His grace is abounding; then it would be so natural to want to know Him more. I pray that particular student went home tonight with a hunger for His Word above any pleasure that this sinful world has to offer.

Read Psalm 119. Fall on your knees and worship Him for the gift and treasure of His very Word. Don't expect the church to do things for you. As I witnessed tonight in the park, the church shined her brilliant light as people walked by and heard the Word proclaimed. Don't wait for the church. May your heart be knit together with others, may you share in the same encouragement found within genuine fellowship, and may you join other adopted children of the Living God (John 1:12), to enjoy summer nights of being the bride.

I loved my night in the park. I love my youth group. I love my church. I love His Word...shared within knit hearts in the park. To quote John Piper, "don't waste your life," open the Word and begin the journey.

No comments: