Monday, June 1, 2009

Monday Monday Monday

I thought by placing Monday 3 times to begin this post would fit nicely with the commonly used, "Sunday, Sunday, Sunday" idea... I think for monster truck relays? Anyways, it's Monday, and I'm glad to have a few minutes to write.

Beginning today, several church members are involved in a court case between a sweet lady in our church family, and her soon to be ex husband. More than a year ago, he committed adultery and left her, as well as his church family. Since then, this poor lady has dealt with the consequences and pain involved in his unrepentant sin. I'm glad to be a part of a church that is committed to taking care of one another as well as calling sin as it is. I pray for this man, that he truly comes to know Christ and experiences the privilege of repentance and forgiveness. Today, I've thought much about her and her kids. I can't imagine what they are going through...because of his sin. I hate sin. I hate the way it destroys families. I hate the way that the adversary can prowl this earth and because of evil pleasures, conformity leads to adultery. This man has admitted very cowardly his sin and moved on...but he has not shown true repentance. The book of Acts reminds me of the need for repentance, and not simply, "I feel bad, God forgive me, I'm moving on and living IN the very sin I committed"!! Thats this guy! Please pray for him.

This morning, while shaving, I listened to a few minutes of a sermon by David Platt. The text that he used was out of Romans 12:3-13. Here are some points that I gained from the text:

1. We must no be prideful and selfish, but realizing that our salvation is given by His grace. Even though our giftedness may be different, it doesn't mean any are better. (v.3-8) With this point, I realized that since we are the body of Christ, if one member is hurting, the body is hurting. I hurt for this precious lady today.

2. We must let love be genuine. I see a lack of love in so many ways, in the body. Gossip, slander, deceit, pride, etc., cripples the bride at its core, and robs her of love. I think when Jesus talks about loving our neighbor as ourself (Matthew 22:39), He really meant it! Paul tell us in verse 9 to, "Let Love be genuine, abhor what is evil, hold fast to what is good." I believe this passage is what has led many to the courtroom today to support her. They, like me, hate sin, and want to hold fast to what is good! The Lord is good! Taste and see. Read Psalm 34:8.

3. We must learn to rejoice in the Glory of the Lord. In verses 11-12, I see the focus being on the Lord. I see that even in suffering, we must focus on His greatness. Today, because of a lost man's unrepentant sin, a lady is suffering greatly. Oh, may she rejoice today still in the joy of the Lord and the love from His bride.

4. We must take care of one another. Specifically in the text, it is refering to early Christians; rather that be leaders of new believers. Again, today, many are trying to take care of this precious lady. I pray that the love they give brings glory and honor to the King. It makes me wonder if I'm actively living out this verse? Am I contributing to the needs of others? It brings Brooke and me great joy that we are soon opening our home to one of our students for his senior year. His room is ready to be moved in. I pray that hospitality brings glory and honor to the King. To His name, be the glory!

Some thoughts today. They may not be that organized. I just wanted to express what the Spirit revealed to me while I was shaving.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Dave

No comments: