Monday, July 20, 2009

The Blessing of His Word

James 1:25, "But one who looks intently at the perfect law, the law of liberty, and abides by it, not having become a forgetful hearer but an effectual doer, this man will be blessed in what he does"

I have a question for you on this rare Summer cool evening; how important is the Word to you? This afternoon, I had the sweet privilege of glancing through the law (the first 5 books of the OT) with my dear friend Canyon. After our time together, I was walking out to my car when my friend Tina stopped me with this statement, "you've challenged me study and memorize more Scripture." I got into my car and drove home. Her statement is still on my mind. Why do we need to study the Word? Why would anyone want to memorize it? A book that has tough passages to understand and too many little books to choose from (66 total)...what would prompt anyone to study it? I believe the answer is found in the blessing that it offers. My friend has a passion for His Word and uses that passion to teach children. She is a hero of the faith for many.

Jesus spoke these words many years ago, "Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth" (John 17:17). I believe what He was saying then draws us to study now. His half brother wrote these words that I began this post with. Lets take a glance at them together... shall we?

"one who looks intently on the law" - this statement is derived from the word, parakupto par-ak-oop'-to, which translates: to bend beside, i.e. lean over (so as to peer within) -- look (into), stoop down, etc. I look at this with an understanding of humility. We empty ourselves, our time, our own desire to dictate time when we study His Word diligently. I believe our passion is what drives our use of time. Anyone who loves baseball will naturally take time to study all the stats of each player and travel to as many stadiums as possible. There isn't anything wrong in that in of itself, but if that weighs more value in one's soul over His good Word, then where does the heart rest? Or if a mom or dad will travel the country for their child's team, missing church on many Sundays, and spending countless hours for the sport over the study of His good Word, where is the priority? I believe those that desire more of His goodness daily will take upon themselves an attitude of bending beside, leaning over, into, stooping down to taste of His greatness (Psalm 34:8). Where does your soul rest? Begin with Genesis. Enjoy the journey. Be captivated by His glory. Praise Him for His grace. Live as His adopted.

"abides by it" - parameno par-am-en'-o the idea is: to stay near, i.e. remain (literally, tarry; or figuratively, be permanent, persevere) -- abide, continue, etc. Just studying and memorizing the Word doesn't sanctify; one must abide in it. This idea goes well with John 15. We must understand the purpose behind the Word. We were given it to understand the true nature of God Almighty and to be drawn daily in His likeness. Since I believe all scripture was given to us by Him (2 tim 3:16, 2 Peter 1:21), then the privilege we have to abide in it shows us more of His amazing grace! What power and beauty found in the riches of His Word. Read Psalm 119. All 176 verses remind us to abide in His Word, to enjoy His truth, and to proclaim His true character. What do you abide in? What do you continue to study or pursue? If it is outside His good word, I encourage you to repent and rest in His promises. Check out Psalm 42.

The forgetful hearer and effectual doer...that makes sense to me. I hope it does to you. You don't just stare at a teacher while he gives a lesson and then try on your own to do what he teaches...unless you are open to learning the subject, you will fail in your own attempt to conjure its meaning.

Finally, we have this part, "this man will be blessed in what he does." I like this part. We see the word, makarios mak-ar'-ee-os, meaning: supremely blest; by extension, fortunate, well off -- blessed, happy(-ier). Who wouldn't want this?!! If we are given the promise of His fortune, His happiness, His supreme blessing...then our prompting to study is as easy as trying to convince a middle school boy to drink a monster drink. The blessing we receive is the gift of Himself. When we enjoy Him in His Word, then He pours upon us....Him. James 4:8. Check that passage out. Apart from His good word, the pleasures of this world only add more decay inside our white washed bodies.

So my friend, my encouragement to you today is to intently look at His Word and allow His truth to abide sweetly in you. I close with what Gutenberg (the inventor of the printing press) said about the Word:

"Yes, it is a press, certainly, but a press from which shall flow in inexhaustible streams, the most abundant and most marvelous liquor that has ever flowed to relieve the thirst of men! Through it , God will spread His Word. A spring of truth shall flow from it: like a new star it shall scatter the darkness of ignorance, and cause a light heretofore unknown to shine amongst men."

No comments: