Saturday, July 11, 2009

A New Song Daily

It's been a long time since I've sat down and blogged. I miss communicating to you the riches of God's grace and the joy of my journey in finding my satisfaction in Him alone daily. In case you are new to my blog and don't know this about me, I am a youth minister at a church north of Atlanta. Summers are the busiest times for many youth ministers. We get our students for almost 2 months before their busy schedules pick up with school. During this time, many of us decide to be crazy and plan camps, mission trips, and other various elements of ministry to keep their attention. I just got back from a wonderful mission trip to Bainbridge, GA. 19 students and a few adults made up the crew that came with me (along with several families that gave us a total of around 45ish??). Our job was simple in training and hard in application. We were trained to hang Sheetrock and then we applied that wonderful training for close to 5 days of hard work. I'm so encouraged by the work ethics my students and adults put in. I'm refreshed by their teamwork. This was my 3rd year of going on trips like this in which we get to help build churches. What a joy. It's good to be home.

In all my traveling (from Virginia to California, to Kentucky, Ohio, and back to Georgia), I've been so swept away by the daily grace of God Almighty. This verse in particular has spoken deeply to my soul, "He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God; Many will see and fear And will trust in the LORD." (Psalm 40:3). Please permit me to break down to you why this verse truly paints a perfect picture to how gracious our Lord truly is.

Each morning, the Lord has blessed me with the delicious aroma of His presence. I believe His Word is sweet, as honey dripping off of the comb. When I read His Word, journal praises to His name, and meditate on His truths I've gained, I walk away with a new song in my mouth. I can't really say its something that is special or rewarding...I find it to be more of a necessity to live. Sleeping on air mattresses for 4-5 hours a night, with noisy teenage boys who would rather chat like little girls than sleep...and waking up to hang 5/8 sheet rocks on the ceiling can drain me if I'm not careful. Camp, in its full speed can drain me. Preaching for 3 straight days in a state that is away from home can tire my body. So much can be said here right now in the complaint department... for your sake, I'll quit. Whats the point? I need Him daily to wake me up, give strength to my bones to do the work that He's called me to do.

This verse has refreshed my soul and has given me a new song, a new spring of life daily; to proclaim unspeakable praises to His name. Each morning, I'm awakened to His mighty presence. I'm starting to move away from the term, "quiet time" to "His time." My life is dependant on His grace, His presence, His time. The result always is... a new song in my mouth. I get to read such powerful books such as Esther, and I get to pause and praise Him with a song of joy as I see His promise to deliver His people from harm. I'm currently reading a book called, "Knowing God" by J.I. Packer. In 4 chapters, I'm drawn to the conclusion that God is worth the daily pursuit of knowing...and I will never write as good as Packer. I meet so many people that find little to no reasons to praising God. It seems that many of us are prone to wait for seasons to praise, or sorrowful moments to pray prayers of petition. Please allow me to give you this challenge; begin each day with, "His time." Read Psalm 40 and understand what the Psalmist was communicating. The infinite result of Him putting a new song in us is the incorruptible praises of countless voices that fear and trust in Him.

Have "His time." May He graciously put in you a new song daily.

Soli Deo Gloria.

No comments: