Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Joy in Yucatan

This evening, I'm awaiting my turn to lecture on the doctrine of sin. So far, I've lectured four times, on the doctrine of God and man. I love teaching the riches of God's perfect and Holy Word. Seeing these sweet people in Mexico make sacrifices in their schedules to endure a week of classes. This week, the classes are:

1. An Overview of the Gospel of Mark
2. The Biblical Woman
3. Systematic Theology 2.

Can I share with you my burden for all Christians to take the time to study and sacrifice for the glory of the Word? I see in my state, at least, that church is reduced to a show at times with little to no emphasis on the true Word. It seems that it can be so easy to get comfortable with easy going faith without any need to sacrifice. This week, I've been refreshed and reminded by these precious folks that the Word is worth the work.

They sit in a room that has only 2 air conditioning units...that only bring the room temperature to only 85 degrees. The hot weather of Mexico makes all of us sweat as we study. There are 2 waves of students. The first wave comes in the morning, and the second at night. Both groups endure 3-4 hours of seminary classes. From Monday to Friday, they receive almost enough for a full semester of study. For us in America, we can look at this as a tough and perhaps straining week. For them, they look at it as the bread in which their appetites are satisfied in.

I want my church, my students, my family, and my friends to crave the Word of God. I want them to have joy in Jesus alone. It can be so easy to reduce joy to nothing more but a temporary happiness in self. Every time I finish teaching (an hour session a piece); I'm surrounded by pastors and members that share with me the very joy from their souls. Here, they love Jesus. I mean, they really love Jesus. Their lives are consumed with the joy of their Savior and the riches of His Word. Their worship services consist of nothing but solid preaching (sometimes more than an hour), biblical prayers, biblical songs, and joy of genuine fellowship. Where I'm from, we have to rush out the door as soon as an hour ends. If someone were to preach longer than 30 minutes, they may be looked at in a negative light. Here, they crave the bread daily.

I hurt for the lack of joy that perhaps many churches in the States carry. We need joy. We need the joy that I see here in Yucatan. I can't wait to return to my church and share more with them the riches of God's Word. I'm compelled to preach nothing but the entire counsel of God's Word. No holding back. I'm drawn to daily evangelize. No holding back. My joy is satisfied daily. It's amazing to know that separated from my home country, I receive the deep joy of the true bride that exists in all nations, for the glory of the Risen King.

I close with this powerful passage. May it encourage you as it encourages me.

"13Now that same day two of them were going to a village called Emmaus, about seven milesa from Jerusalem. 14They were talking with each other about everything that had happened. 15As they talked and discussed these things with each other, Jesus himself came up and walked along with them; 16but they were kept from recognizing him. 17He asked them, “What are you discussing together as you walk along?”They stood still, their faces downcast. 18One of them, named Cleopas, asked him, “Are you only a visitor to Jerusalem and do not know the things that have happened there in these days?” 19“What things?” he asked.“About Jesus of Nazareth,” they replied. “He was a prophet, powerful in word and deed before God and all the people. 20The chief priests and our rulers handed him over to be sentenced to death, and they crucified him; 21but we had hoped that he was the one who was going to redeem Israel. And what is more, it is the third day since all this took place. 22In addition, some of our women amazed us. They went to the tomb early this morning 23but didn’t find his body. They came and told us that they had seen a vision of angels, who said he was alive. 24Then some of our companions went to the tomb and found it just as the women had said, but him they did not see.” 25He said to them, “How foolish you are, and how slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken! 26Did not the Christb have to suffer these things and then enter his glory?” 27And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself. - Luke 24:13-27.

May we, out of great joy, take the time to study Jesus for who He is...in ALL of Scripture.

No comments: