Thursday, September 3, 2009

Big Numbers...Genuine Disciples?

Last week on facebook, I observed some one's status that simply read, "Great night of worship...350 middle school students and 250 high school students." When I originally read the status, I confess; I was jealous. (That night, we had maybe 115 students with both groups combined). Most youth ministers weigh the success of their ministry on the amount of students that attend. It seems to be something all of us inherit within our nature when we take on the position of leading. It's hard not to do this. So often, I speak with other youth ministers and the common first question I get is, "How many are you running?" I'd love to answer by saying something like, "It depends on what they do wrong...but normally we send out 5-6 on a few miles when they forget their bibles." It may not be funny to you, but I laugh even now as I type it. It doesn't take much to make me laugh, I guess.

Again, revisit what I wrote above with the facebook status one put. I'm not that impressed with numbers as I used to be. When I first started in student ministry, I was 19 years old with hopes of growing the youth group with enormous results. I admit, when we went from 5-6 students to over 20...I was pretty pumped. I felt that I was on top of the world with such great growth. However, when I look back even today, I realize that the ministry then was built on fun, games, music, and shallow messages with little to no real biblical content. I was simply putting on a show that was equivalent to cotton candy (something that grows very large, but contains no substance.) I wonder if that number are active and passionate followers of Christ today? I wonder if they are faithfully leading their families and serving the bride? If not, than what is the purpose of that inflation?

Why do so many ministry leaders weigh the success of their ministry on the size of people that come? Before I give you my take on this problem, let me highlight the positive points of wanting to focus on numbers:

1. It reflects the intentions of believers (when we invite our lost friends to church...and the church grows, then we are following Matthew 28:19...if indeed those that come are turned into true children of the Living God.)

2. It reveals the passion of leadership. When leaders don't care about who comes...then why should someone care about coming? Leaders that focus on wanting more to participate and hear...reveal to the listeners that their heart is focused on declaring the love of God above this world...read 1 John 5:1-5 to help understand more...

3. It resembles the impact of the ministry of Jesus. When He preached, multitudes at times gathered to hear. When the true name and doctrines of Jesus are preached, we must all hope that many gather!

There are more...but these are some. I hold onto these. I want numbers, don't get me wrong. But, should we identify the effectiveness of worship with how many come? Why not define a great night of worship simply by the glory of God being revealed in the presence of passionate believers; on their faces with joy in His pleasure. Worship = His revelation and grace to sinners such as you and me...our response with love and admiration, and our holding Him in high esteem. Worship = many numbers...nothing but a man centered approach to fitting his own personal agenda. If I were to open my eyes and see nobody around me in a time of lifting up praises to my King...do I stop? Or, do I close and continue? What would be the purpose of quiet times if we can't identify worship with just solitude? Does this make any sense to you?

This passage really got to me this morning. I invite you to join me in reading it:

He went on to say, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled him.” From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.
You do not want to leave too, do you?” Jesus asked the Twelve.
Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We believe and know that you are the Holy One of God.” - John 6:65-69

In verse 65, Jesus declared the only way we can receive salvation; the enabling of the Father to draw our attention and repentance to the Son. We know this is one of the reasons why we have the Holy Spirit. To convict sinners to repent and turn to Christ. Messages that point out repentance, confession, election, and wrath seem to draw people away from church. It seems above, the same result happened with Jesus. They followed Him in John 6 when He fed the multitudes, because their physical needs were met. However, when He preached a message above simply meeting temporary needs, many left. Hmm...seems to happen today.

I love Simon Peter. I love his response when Jesus asked him if he was going to leave. Man, that is the response of a true worshipper! Where else can we go? Why would we not want to go and participate in corporate worship gatherings, mission trips, evangelism outreaches, bible studies, serving opportunities, ministry leading, etc...We WANT to come and gather as a group because in Jesus, we have the eternal words of life! He is the WORD (John 1), and we simply want to follow Him closely as living stones in His foundation (1 Peter 2:4-5).

Do we take the definition of school as, "It was great today...1,250 were there!!" Absolutely not. It's school. We may not have a response. Why would we treat the church with this regard? If 1,250 came to church...why not more? What did those 1,250 do? Did they come to enjoy a show? Did they come to have their ears tickled? (2 Tim 4:3) Is He not worthy to be praised? My hope is to see that number continue to increase...and to be centered on His revelation, His glory, and His grace. Not our show. Not our bragging rights. Not our pride.

May He forgive us when we use our definition of worship over His.

Just something to think about today...

No comments: