Thursday, September 24, 2009

Trust...or face a motorcycle.

Last night was a night to remember. After our High School worship service started, I had the students move close to the stage. One of my pet peeves is a large room with students scattered. Since we are the bride of Christ, I want us to worship...sitting together. Some think I'm mean, but I really don't care. As I told a friend this morning, my role is not to be a buddy...but to be a minister to my students. Last night was a classic example to why it is important to lead and not give in.

After I announced to my students the need to move, a few still didn't follow directions. So, instead of moving along with the service, I had to mean for just a quick moment. I don't remember all I said, but it was something to the affect of, "We won't start until everyone moves..." Once everyone moved to the front, we started the night of worship...only to have something happen that freaked all of us out.

All I said was, "turn to your Bibles to Daniel 6." Once those words came out of my mouth, the motorcycle fell. Please allow me to explain the purpose of the motorcycle being 10 feet above our heads; on top of the closet entrance...I DON'T KNOW. It's been there for at least 8-9 years. Someone donated the bike years ago; the bike was filled with sand, and placed in a platform high off the ground. The bike was positioned to lean toward the wall, not the chairs below. How this bike fell...I don't know. What I do know is our God was gracious and merciful last night. I had so many questions. I still do. Here are some:

1. What if I didn't make my students move to the front?
2. What if I allowed them to do whatever they wanted to do?
3. What if I didn't teach them lessons on obedience?
4. Why did the bike fall at that time? Why not during the week when nobody was in the room?
5. What caused it to fall?
6. And so on....

I'm glad my students listened. I'm glad they learned a lesson in obedience last night. I'm glad God spared us of not seeing someone hurt...or even killed (think about a motorcycle full of sand, falling on your head)!! Friend, we worship the Everlasting God. He is full of mercy and steadfast love (Exodus 34). He draws us to His side, His safety and His eternal provision (Romans 8). We are His...because of Jesus. Friend, if you haven't repented of your sin (to turn away from it, and turn toward Jesus), then please hear my cry today...DON'T DELAY. You really aren't promised another day. Today is a great day, to turn away from your selfishness and to turn to Jesus who is mighty to save. Obey His teachings (John 14:15), and submit to His glory (Psalm 115). One day, we all will stand and give an account of our lives (Romans 14:12, 1 Peter 4:5). May you be found in obedience to His Word (Romans 5:19), and washed in His blood (Psalm 51:7, 1 Cor 6:11).

I close with this powerful hymn...one of my favorites. Enjoy Him forever. He is worthy to be praised...and trusted!

'Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus
Just to take Him at His Word;
Just to rest upon His promise;
And to know, "Thus saith the Lord!"

Oh, how sweet to trust in Jesus
Just to trust His cleansing blood
And in simple faith to plunge me
'Neath the healing, cleansing flood!

Yes, 'tis sweet to trust in Jesus
Just from sin and self to cease
Just from Jesus simply taking
Life and rest, and joy and peace

I'm so glad I learned to trust thee
Precious Jesus, Savior, Friend!
And I know that Thou art with me
wilt be with me to the end.

Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!
How I've proved Him o'er and o'er
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!
Oh, for grace to trust Him more!

No comments: