Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Awakened by joy

This morning came a bit too quickly for me. I enjoyed a wonderful evening with Brooke yesterday as she celebrated her 27th birthday. It was such a sweet joy to take her out to dinner and then to watch her open up a few gifts. Man, she looked good. I love my wife. I'm so blessed to have the joy of her hand. It was an incredible evening, to say the least. Then, the morning came.

Normally, I love the mornings. I love waking up early and diving into God's perfect Word. This morning, however, I was a bit tired. This week has drained me some with teaching a few times and then preparing for a wedding and speaking engagements in the future. My body wasn't cooperating with my mind to focus on the Scriptures, at all. 2 cups of coffee helped. Proverbs 16-18 helped. But, I drove to Starbucks to meet with Zach, still tired and needing to be awakened. By His joy, He delivered my wake up call.

Please permit me to proclaim to you my gladness in being a youth pastor. I love seeing teenagers get excited about their faith. I love seeing their passion as they share the good news to their lost friends. I love seeing their hunger for His Word. I love seeing their excitement as they participate in corporate worship. I love seeing their desire for this culture to embrace truth and to run to the cross. I love students.

This morning, our gracious Lord woke me up by seeing Zach excited in 1 Peter, and then seeing other seniors gather for bible study...all in Starbucks. These high school seniors are setting a standard that most adults cannot reach. 4 seniors in high school were in the coffee shop today for the purpose of waking up to God's glorious Word. By His grace, I sat back as a spectator; applauding the work of the Wonderful Maker. I'm so glad I drove early to have coffee and discipleship with Zach, for in doing so, I was blessed with the sweet privilege of waking up to the joy of Christ; indwelt in my students.

Did I mention to you that I love being a youth pastor? Above that, I love being an adopted child of the Lord Most High; through the riches of Christ and the power of His Holy Spirit. How awesome is the Lord Most High!!! I'M AWAKE!!! (Oh, and 2-3 cups of coffee helped too...)

This passage really sums up the joy of the morning to me. I want to close by sharing it with you, "Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days." Psalm 90:14

Zach Norman and Tori DeYoung - thank you for the example you set for other students, in your passion for His Word and to share your faith in His Gospel to others. May students and adults follow your example. You make a youth pastor very proud and joyful.


No comments: