Friday, August 7, 2009

A Night to Remember


Last night, Brooke and I were privileged to attend a live taping of the upcoming, "Chris Tomlin Christmas show" that is scheduled to be broadcast later (during Christmas, I imagine...) It was a great night to get away and sing familiar songs with an artist that we both respect. We sat in this tiny room with only 70 others, and joined Chris and his band as they sang each song twice (for recording purposes). 4 hours of Christmas music in August...what a treat. My legs hurt that night because a girl that worked for the station (or just acted like she did, Brooke and I are still investigating), put her chair at my knees making me feel like I was inside a kitchen cabinet. Anyways, I trail off, forgive me. It was a great night.


The 4th song that Tomlin sang was his version of Amazing Grace. With eyes closed across the studio, we joined our hearts as a perfect bond of unity (Colossians 3:14), as we sang to our King. During one of the verses, I was given a sweet reminder of my call into ministry. The Spirit opened my attention to the fact that 10 years ago, I was drawn in a worship service to full time vocational ministry. 10 years ago, the service was led by Chris Tomlin and Louie Giglio (who also was in the room with me last night for the recording). I was awakened to the fact that last night, both of those men were in the room with me...and 70 0thers. It's not that I was worshiping them or giving them credit; but I was amazed by the faithfulness of God.


10 years ago, I was a scared 17 year old who had no clue of what to expect in ministry. I nervously told my youth minister on a night during that week of camp that I felt drawn to faithfully serve the King in ministry work. My youth minister quickly prayed with me and began to encourage me (as he still does today). That night, he did something that really freaked me out; he took me backstage to meet the guy who was leading music (Chris Tomlin) and let me talk with him about ministry. I got to spend about a half an hour with Tomlin that night, just the two of us. He told me something that has still stood with me today. That statement was; "Fall in love with the Scriptures and may your heart be centered on His infinite worth," something like that, at least. I've never forgotten it. This morning, I read Psalm 56-68 and Hebrews 1. I love His Word and I can see how 10 years ago, the Lord used Chris to help me understand what truly is the foundation for ministry; His unchanging Word. God is sovereign and He could've used a 9 year old...it's just neat that He used Tomlin.


Today, I'm a 27 year old who has no clue of what to expect in ministry. With a beautiful bride and a baby on the way, I find myself at times completely clueless on where to take the next step. However, when I look in His Word, I rejoice in His infinite worth and realize its not my role to be concerned, its my joy to follow. 10 years ago, the Lord used those 2 men; anointed by His Spirit and messengers of His Word, to help me begin a life of faithful obedience in full time ministry. Last night, I got to worship with both of them. In all His glory and splendor, why would He allow a nervous and weak soul such as I to serve His bride? Grace. He is indeed the Wonderful Maker.


I close with this verse that has encouraged me today. "What is man that you remember him, the son of man that you look after him? (Psalm 8:4). I'm eternally grateful for my God who remembers me, knows me, and gave me a gentle reminder last night to the rich call He has placed in my life.


Soli Deo Gloria!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard the story of your call before. Thanks for sharing. It is indeed amazing that God pays us any attention in the first place, and all the more remarkable that He places people and events in our lives just for us, just at the right time and place.