Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Excitement toward the unknown/known

OK, I have to write again about my excitement about being a dad soon. Every week, we celebrate one week closer to the arrival of our baby (I know, rocket science...). The excitement I've had lately is just uncontainable. I'm so curious to what this child will be like. I want to know what kind of person he/she will become. I've read about many heroes of the faith recently, and my hopes is for my child to set the way for many to hear the Gospel. I'm excited about being a daddy. I believe we can carry excitement to an even deeper step; our excitement to being with the One that redeemed us from the curse!

I really like what the author of Hebrew says, "1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." These verses give me excitement about being a child of the Living God. By His eternal grace, I can throw off everything that hinders me...the sin that entangles, and by His power; run with great perseverance until the race is finished. What does that mean? It means the culmination of sanctification. Please permit me to explain in these 3 steps to remind you of Biblical salvation:

1. Justification - the moment of salvation in which you were declared right and innocent before the presence of the Holy God of this World...paid for by the blood of His Son. (You were saved)

2. Sanctification - the process of becoming more conformed into the likeness of Jesus. It is the process of being set apart and made holy...really it is the preparation time until you enter glory. (You are being saved)

3. Glorification - the final step as a believer; being with and enjoying God forever. One day, when your heart stops its rhythm, you will enter into eternity. By His grace, your fare has been paid to enter and enjoy His majesty. The race is over. No more tears. The waiting period has ended. (You will be saved)

I feel like as a pending daddy, I am experiencing sanctification in a real practical way. We were given the Good news of our baby (justification), and now we are waiting for our baby. We talk much about our baby. We share with others about our baby. We work to meet our baby. We enjoy thinking about our baby. One day, in God's amazing glory, we will (by His grace and will) get to meet the baby we have been waiting for. I pray by His grace and faithfulness, this will happen! What a day that will be... but even in the joy and excitement of wanting to see the baby that hasn't arrived yet; what is more glorious is the fact that one day, we will get to be with our Father in Heaven.

Do you live in such a way in which you are preparing for the presence of the Almighty? Do you enjoy Him this side of glory? Enjoy the step of sanctification as you grow into His beautiful likeness. If you don't know Him; read Romans 1-8 and may His gracious Spirit lead you to His salvation. Other texts to help?

Galatians 1-3
Colossians 1
Hebrews 4-10
John 3
1 Corinthians 15
2 Corinthians 5

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments: