Monday, August 10, 2009

Loss is Gain

When I was in college, I used to sit by my television for hours each night. My time was spent watching sports and wanting to know the updates on several players. Most of my conversations would consist of comparing the stats from one player to another. Most of my memorization skills were found in who played for what team, in what year, for how long, and for what salary. It seemed to be a passion in my life. For some odd reason, I found great worth in it all. Much money was spent attending baseball conferences to get autographs, collecting game used equipment, and other random purchases. Overall, (baseball especially) sports were my god.....

Not any more.

Yesterday, I laughed when I noticed the cable box sitting next to the television; unplugged. It's been there for 3 weeks now. 3 weeks ago, I stood in line for almost 2 hours to get it replaced...only to to sit on my floor. Why do I even have it? We never watch TV anymore. Nothing really captivates my attention like Jesus. What a Savior.

I like what this verse teaches, "But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ" (Philippians 3:7). In Chapter 3 of Paul's letter to the Philippians, we see a beautiful display of Paul's former passions and accomplishments in measure to the riches of Jesus. After listing many of his prestigious positions and past actions, we see Paul valiantly preach the beauty of his regeneration. In other words, when he found satisfaction in Christ; the Savior of the World who redeemed him from God's just wrath and gave him the gift of grace...Paul then viewed everything in the world as a loss, as rubbish in comparison to the Savior.

Loss is gain... I like this statement. I don't really follow sports or other things like I used to. In fact, I normally check on scores about once or twice a week to see how the Cardinals are doing. I really couldn't tell you who has been traded or who is playing well. I don't have stats memorized anymore nor do I have the insight on what potential player is to be drafted. I really don't care anymore. In fact, much of what I used to count as a joy...I view now as rubbish.

My passion is Christ. I want to study and memorize His Word, for I find great value in it. I want to teach others the beautiful doctrines that are soaked inside the 66 books of God's collective treasure. I want to spend the rest of my life, like Paul, counting all things as a loss or rubbish in comparison to Christ.

Do I miss the 5 hour nights of football or baseball? Not really. Since graduating college (the days in which I was obsessed with sports), I've been blessed to go to seminary, work 2 summers at a camp, and now almost 4 years on staff at my church in Acworth...My heart is captivated by Him... No loss, all gain. What a Savior.

Soli Deo Gloria

No comments: