Sunday, August 23, 2009

What do we give?

I recently read a powerful quote from C.S. Spurgeon from his excellent devotional entitled, Morning and Evening. The quote goes like this, "We give Jesus the crown of silver when He deserves gold." When I read this quote...needless to say, I was broken. I believe the truth within that one statement can lead any church, by the marvelous Spirit, to great revival. It has recently given me the question as a minister of the Gospel and a true lover of church; what do we give?

Spurgeon's quote came from his passionate devotional inspired from Ephesians 3:8. Paul writes with such marvelous excellence, "To me, though I am the very least of all the saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ." Within that one statement, I am drawn to the question; What do I give? According to the verse (and perhaps contrary to most modern church approaches), I am:

1. The least of any...born as a sinner that for years lived for his own crown and not for the golden crown of Jesus. (Read Romans to get a better picture of this). Even today, I still fight the temptation to wear a crown that isn't mine.

2. Grace was given to me. I didn't earn it. I didn't really work to get it. It was given to me. 1 John 4:9 reminds me that He loved me...before I even had the comprehension of loving Him. I have been predestined to receive such marvelous love and grace (according to Ephesians 1)...a love that I don't deserve. What do I give?

3. Paul, a terrible sinner saved by the mercy of God (read Acts 7-9 to get a better understanding of this guy), was forever changed to preach the Gospel. He was GIVEN task to GIVE to others a beautiful gift; a faith in the only One that is mighty to save. So passionate was His desire to give the news of the Gospel, that he called us to follow his example (read Romans 10, Galatians 1, Ephesians 1-3, Philippians 2-3, Colossians 1, etc.) What do I give?

4. The quote is how I end these 4 points; we give because God has given us the greatest gift of all; the Unsearchable Riches of His Son! We have the Messiah. We have the gift of the indwelling of God Most High (John 1, Colossians 1, Hebrews 4, 7). What do I give in response? I believe the passionate response to the greatest gift...is to preach the good news, feed the hungry, clothe the poor, protect the church against false teachers, and so on... For me especially, it the gift of Christ draws me to give sacrificial love to Brooke and my future child. What do I gift? I attempt to answer this question with daily reading about the gift He has given to me.

On Thursday of last week, I drove over to Scottish Rite Children's Hospital to give a few hours of encouragement to Weston. He is a 15 year old that recently was diagnosed with cancer. Since April, his family has gone through tremendous trials. Seeing him in the hospital on Thursday gave me more of a hatred toward sin. Because of our parents (Adam and Eve), and their desire to disobey the Holy God of this World, we have seen sickness enter the world. I believe that in my hatred toward sin, I give love and glory to my Father by visiting hospitals and encouraging those that are sick. What a beautiful testimony! For those that believe in no God because of the sign of suffering in the world, I wonder what would go through their mind when they see the Church rise up and take care of the sick and needy? Instead of bitterness, perhaps they will see the unsearchable riches of Christ in us? What do you give?

We give, because He first gave to us.
We love, because He first loved us.

Today, don't live your life in such a way that gives to the riches of Christ a crown of silver. Give Him the love and glory due His Name! For students, do well in school and preach His Gospel; for you desire gold, not silver. For husbands, love your wives and lead your family by the Gospel. For wives, love and support your husbands and paint for them a picture of the church. For children, obey your parents for the reason of worshipping your Father in Heaven. For ministers, don't lead selfishly, but rather for the purpose of others to drink the milk of the pure Word. For teachers, teach with excellence for a greater purpose; to help others find the truth of the Gospel. For others, do whatever you do, for the glory of the riches of Christ! (Colossians 3:24).

What do we give? Let us give Him our reckless and unspeakable love that is genuine from what we daily realize of what He has given to us; Himself.

No comments: