Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Amazed by His Word

Last night at our basement Bible study, we were blessed to sit together and watch a sermon preached a few years ago by David Platt. In the sermon, David expressed the importance of desiring the Word and allowing ourselves to trust in it above anything in this world. During the sermon, David shared a story about a time in his life in which he felt the Lord was calling Him to be passionate about the Word. Right after he shared the story, he went on to cite Romans 1-8, all be memory! Yes, he memorized the first eight chapters of Romans! We sat there, completely amazed by the Word of God; hidden in the heart of a young preacher. Afterwards, many of us were speechless; to say the least. What power.

Today, I have this verse on my mind after last night: " Your word I have treasured in my heart, That I may not sin against You" (Psalm 119:11). I love this verse. I believe this verse perfectly communicates what we experienced last night in our basement. The Word, hidden in our hearts, leads us to treasure it more. We treasure His Word, by allowing it to take residence in our hearts! Today, I've made a goal to try to memorize as much as Hebrews as I can. I realize this is a very lofty goal, but one that I believe is worth pursuing. What else would I want to study as much as the Word of the Living God? I treasure His Word. I'm grateful for faithful preachers like David Platt who remind me of the power of the Word. May my words be His Words, and my thoughts be His thoughts.

Today, what do you treasure? Are you amazed by His Word? I encourage you to take time to begin treasuring His Word in your heart. Trust me, it's the best book that will ever touch your hands.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I am so parakaleo-ed (past tense of parakaleo) that you are trying to memorize scripture in this way. God has already blessed you with so much knowledge of the Bible and I can't wait to see how He grows you in this practice!