Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Necessity for Light

I love natural light. Right now, the sun is beaming through my living room window. It is providing enough light for my eyes to see the screen and type these words. I love the light. I love the natural light that is a daily gift from the God Most High. Within my love and appreciation for His light, I am overwhelmed with a desire for people to walk in His marvelous Light. I have to confess, I'm typing this a bit annoyed with His name; MOCKED, because of some that walk in the darkness and cannot comprehend the light. I am annoyed, because I want His light to shine, I want His glory to radiate, I want His truth to be proclaimed.

Look at this rich text with me, "This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us." (1 John 1:5-10). Before I begin to sound like a self-righteous, arrogant person, please know from the beginning that I am nothing more than a wretched man saved by the marvelous grace of my Father in Heaven. I am nothing, He is everything. Every attempt to do good on my own, apart from Him, is nothing but filthy rags in His sight (Isaiah 64:6). I truly believe that I have been redeemed by the blood of His Son (John 1:29, 1 Peter 1:18-19, Colossians 2:13-15, Romans 3:23-25, 5:5-10, Hebrews 1:3, 7:25, 10:12-14, etc...MANY MORE!). I believe that I have been sanctified (set apart for His glory, 1 Cor 6:11, Romans 8:30, etc.), and I am awaiting the day to be glorified in His presence. Please know, I am nothing...He is everything (John 3:30).

This is my issue. I've seen way too much darkness in some that claim to have the light. I look at 1 John 1:9, and truly believe that daily confession of sin shows a true sign of Biblical repentance, regeneration (John 3:3, 5, 8). I believe that the evidence of confession and hatred toward sin from the heart of an person shows sign of God's salvation. Here is my problem today; when will people that believe they are saved, wake up and crave the light? When will I go on facebook and not see filth that seems to be mixed in with "child of God" (John 1:12)? When will I see parents rise up and lead their teens, and not drop them off and expect others to do it (and try to pass off to others that they are born again)? When will the church rise up, boast only in the cross, sing songs to praise the King, and live for Him daily? When will we hate sin so much that confession becomes part of our language?

I need to make this short. I pray today, that we will desire the light, acknowledge that there is indeed sin that still tries to devour like a wolf, and repent to the only One that gives the light? Friend, please join me today as we strive to daily walk in the Light, as our King is in the Light. Please join me today as we reject conformity to this world and receive transformation through the renewing of our minds (Romans 12:2).

Thank you for reading my rambling.

Dave

2 comments:

Donny said...

Wow Dave!!! Tell us what you really think. I could not agree any more. I wonder how many have just said a prayer and believe that is it. We can tell them what the Word says, about repentance, confession, about the new life we have in Christ, but it seems they are still clinging to the old life like a favorite shirt that has long run its course of usefulness. All I can say is... it is not about us. It is all about Him. All we can do is remain fathful to the calling He has placed on our lives. Remain encouraged my friend.

Donny

Brooke said...

I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes I get so discouraged by the actions of "Christians" around me because I love God so much and I love them so much that I don't want them to struggle with these things anymore. Of course, then I look at myself and have to stop and remove the plank from my eye...