Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sometimes I just need to close my mouth

Ok, when I read the Word, I find myself comparing people from Scripture to my personality. I like to think I'm like Paul who has a passion to preach Christ crucified (just read Galatians). I like to think I'm like John the Baptist who is preparing the way for my younger students to know Christ (Mark 1). I like to think I'm like Luke, (who in Colossians 4:14), was faithful to Paul, even when he was beat. I like to think I'm like James, who tries to live the Christian life in such a practical way (James 1-3). There are many people from Scripture that I like to compare myself to. Lately, I've realized that I'm alot like Peter as well. Please permit me to explain.

Read this passage from Mark 9:1-8 "And Jesus was saying to them, “Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God after it has come with power.” 2 Six days later, Jesus took with Him Peter and James and John, and brought them up on a high mountain by themselves. And He was transfigured before them; 3 and His garments became radiant and exceedingly white, as no launderer on earth can whiten them. 4 Elijah appeared to them along with Moses; and they were talking with Jesus. 5 Peter said to Jesus, “Rabbi, it is good for us to be here; let us make three tabernacles, one for You, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah.” 6 For he did not know what to answer; for they became terrified. 7 Then a cloud formed, overshadowing them, and a voice came out of the cloud, “This is My beloved Son, listen to Him!” 8 All at once they looked around and saw no one with them anymore, except Jesus alone"

Do you see what happened here? Jesus led Peter, James and John up a high mountain to reveal to them His Glory. In the midst of being terrified, instead of falling down in worship, Peter opens his mouth and tries to figure out a response on his own. I love what the passage reads. God basically tells Peter to "Shut Up"! Peter tries to build 3 tabernacles (as if Elijah and Moses were the SAME as Christ.) The tabernacle held the glory, the presence, the revelation of God. It was not found in men. Christ was the only one worthy to have a tabernacle set up, (however, in John 1:14, we see that He is the tabernacle of God!!!) Anyways, Peter opened his mouth and made a fool of himself. Can you relate?

Yesterday, my staff and I were eating some king cake in celebration of Mardi Gras week. The king cake is a tradition that many people in New Orleans hold on to. Inside the cake, there is a tiny plastic baby. Whoever eats the piece with the baby inside has to bring the cake for the following year! (It's a strange tradition, I'm sure there is more to it). Well, one of the ladies in the office was concerned about how she would know if she got the baby. In quick response, another lady in the office made the comment, "You'll know when the baby goes inside your mouth." To which I replied, "Or, when it comes out!" Yup, it was a Peter moment. I should've just kept my mouth shut.

In fact, I have made many Peter moments in my life. I encourage you not to follow suit. In order to save my dignity, I'd rather just end it here.

Whats my point? I'd encourage you to think before you speak.

Just in good humor,

Dave

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Oh sweetie, I'm looking forward to the day in which you think before you speak, although life wouldn't be nearly as entertaining! Although Peter was notorious for saying things he shouldn't and getting reprimanded (such as "get behind me Satan" from Jesus Matt 16:23), it meant he had enough passion to say other things to receive the highest praise (such as "You are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the forces of Hades will not overpower it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven..." Matt 16:18-19, also from Jesus). So I guess I say all that to say that I'll keep you the way you are :)