Sunday, February 1, 2009

Reflections from the day: Romans 8:1

Well, maybe if I make my blog posts seem to be part of a series...I can be better organized with my thoughts? Or, maybe it will look cooler to read? I don't know...but I want to see what happens. So, here you go today: this is my first contribution to Reflections from the Day: Romans 8:1. Please permit me to share with you the joy I experienced today with this text. I love it. "Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus"(Romans 8:1).

This morning, my pastor preached from this text. It was a refreshing sermon and time of corporate worship with my church family as we celebrated together this powerful truth. From Romans chapters one through seven, we get this powerful introduction in chapter 8...THERE IS NO CONDEMNATION FOR THOSE WHO ARE IN CHRIST JESUS! Nothing can seperate us from this truth! It's a truth that has been shaping the church since her birth. I wonder if we proclaim this truth daily? I wonder if we can join Romans 10:15 " How will they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written, "HOW BEAUTIFUL ARE THE FEET OF THOSE WHO BRING GOOD NEWS OF GOOD THINGS!". I pray our feet take this good news to all the nations! I pray that my life will reflect to others the light of the Gospel, the beauty of freedom and the privilege that I have been justified (Romans 5:1), and sanctified (1 Cor 6:11), and glorified (Romans 8:30); all at the same time...being adopted as His own! (John 1:12). I pray we can not just walk away after hearing a message about NO CONDEMNATION and simply think to ourselves, "hmm, that was a nice reminder." I believe it must go farther than that. I believe we should proclaim it in such a way that people see the evidence of that promise, living in us! For example, do they SEE that there is no condemnation for us, who are in Christ Jesus. Or, are we living so like the rest of the world that this verse is weak and meaningless? Oh Father, please transfer us daily to your marvelous light and continue to sanctify us by Your Word. Please lead us to be a people, a chosen priesthood (1 Peter 2:9), adopted children, that seek to honor you. Father, please lead us to share with others the glorious truth that through Your Son; Jesus Christ, there is now NO condemnation!

I like this song by Shane and Shane. It's called I want it all. I want to close with its lyrics:

To starve is to feast
And less of me is more of Jesus
Lord, I want it allLord, I want it all
If i lose my lifeI gain everything
And at the cross Away with all death's sting
Lord, I want it all Lord, I want it all
There is power in the blood
There is victory in Jesus
Come in power, wash me clean
Overwhelm me with Your presence
There is power in the blood
There is victory in Jesus
Help me glory in the cross
Help me find my gain in loss

1 comment:

Brooke said...

First of all, I love Shane and Shane. Good song choice. Second of all, I love Romans 8:1. I was particularly moved this past Sunday during Mark Geil's intro to worship DVD which said...
"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus...Therefore (same therefore as previously), let us worship." Amen! Let's!