Monday, March 2, 2009

A Refreshing start of the day...

This morning, I had the privilege of teaching the Scriptures to the senior adults from my church. It was such an honor to stand before those heroes of the faith and enjoy the refreshing waters of God's Word. It brought me to the realization that one day, if God allows me to live their age, I want to wake up joyfully on Monday mornings and enjoy times of study and fellowship with other believers. My students at my church have spiritual giants here to follow. I love my church family.

I'd like to share with you a brief overlook at the lesson I gave this morning. It was entitled, True Satisfaction, and it came out of Isaiah 55. I love the book of Isaiah. 66 chapters long, focusing on the glory and steadfast love of God, the power of His Word, and the need for repentance. What a powerful text. I encourage you to read it! It contains 2,186 unique Hebrew words (compared to 2,170 in Psalms, 1,653 in Jeremiah, and 1,535 in Ezekiel). Beauty! Honor! all Praise to the Almighty!

Here were my points that I gathered from the text (I preach this as a born again believer in Jesus Christ, read John 3! repent.):

1. God, through His Son, satisfies.
-v.1-2, 4.
-Ephesians 2:8-10

2. God, through His Promise, satisfies.
-v.3
-Hebrews 13:20 - refering to the eternal covenant.
-2 Sam 7:12-16, the covenant made with David.
-was it fulfilled? YES! Acts 13:34, Matthew 1:1-18

3. God, through His People, satisfies
-v.5
-the nation of Israel, the people of God...attracted nations to the Lord.
-I love the church!

4. God, through His salvation, satisfies.
-v.6-7
-repentance, grace, the freedom found in Him!

5. God, through His love, satisfies.
-v.8-9
-Psalm 103:11-12, praise Him!
-His grace, His love is truly "indescribable" (to steal the word from Chris Tomlin)

6. God, through His Word, satisfies.
-v.10-13
-I love His Word...Hebrews 4:12, 2 Tim 3:16, etc.

So, here was my point, "where is your satisfaction?" I want to follow Paul's example in Romans 12:1-2, when he challenges us to not be conformed to this world, but to be transformed by the renewing of our minds. I find too much garbage this side of glory that is trying to steal our satisfaction. Friend, we find it in God. I love the quote from Piper, "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him" (Piper, Desiring God).

Find your satisfaction in Him alone. Praise Him for His amazing grace, demonstrated on the cross of His Son (Romans 5:1-8). May His Spirit lead you daily to glorify the resurrected One.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Aw man. I wish I could have been there. I would have liked to hear the whole things. God truly is my satisfaction!