Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Early morning joy

This morning, I had to wake up at 5am in order to have my time with the Lord before I met Zach, a student of mine, for coffee at Starbucks. We meet each Wednesday before his school begins, with our Bibles open, and our hearts united in fellowship. It is a refreshing time. This morning, Zach brought up a great point. We read together a powerful passage in Ephesians. Paul writes, "He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved. In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace" (Ephesians 1:5-7). This rich text produced in both of us an early morning joy. I love God's Word.

Often times, I've heard Christians argue over the doctrines such as "predestination" or "election" or even "adoption." I always wonder why we put so much effort in discussing these issues to the point in which they raise debates, split churches, and hurt friendships. I believe that if we're not careful, we miss the beauty of what Paul writes. I believe in predestination. I believe in election. I believe in adoption. Why? They are in the Word. I can't deny them. However, what I have learned is to find the joy in them, not the anger.

Think about this with me. Based on what you read above from Ephesians, doesn't that make you rejoice? For those that read this blog that have placed their faith in the only One that saves; Jesus Christ, in Whom we have redemption, these verses should cause you to celebrate! God Almighty, in His amazing grace and love, adopted us as His own, to Himself, by His grace, through the blood of His Son. If we just argue over these verses and not celebrate over them, then we miss the beauty of "the riches of His grace." I read verses such as this and it sparks me to evangelism, because I want my friends, my family to know of the grace, love, redemption, adoption, that I have. I want them to taste and see that the Lord is good. I want them to receive the riches of His grace. I'd rather not spend the rest of my life just arguing over these passages, but celebrating, worshipping, and giving God all the glory for the gift of His love that I don't deserve.

It was an early morning joy. I enjoyed it. Read Ephesians. It's a great book.

Blessings,

Dave

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I love you and I like Zach too! Your faithfulness to meet that early in the morning is encouraging. I, like you, am so glad that I can't fool God and that He knew He would save me by His grace through my faith alone!