Tuesday, March 31, 2009

2 songs, put together; How Beautiful is that blood!

Studying Hosea 1-9 has drawn me to realize several things. This is what I've observed so far in God's Word:

1. Sin is destructive
2. Repentance is necessary
3. God's steadfast love is offered.

We see Sin nailed to the cross. The death of Jesus Christ; the Incarnate, Son of God, absorbed the wrath of God toward sin; giving us His steadfast love. However, His steadfast love is not promised until we repent. We must trust in the only One that is mighty to save. These two songs have drawn me to rejoice in the cross and how God's steadfast love was given to me. I'm excited about singing them tomorrow night with my students.

Alas and did my Savior Bleed

Alas! and did my Savior bleed, and did my Sovereign die! Would he devote that sacred head for sinners such as I?

Was it for crimes that I have done, he groaned upon the tree? Amazing pity! Grace unknown! And love beyond degree!

Well might the sun in darkness hide, and shut its glories in, when God, the mighty maker, died for his own creature's sin.

Thus might I hide my blushing face while his dear cross appears; dissolve my heart in thankfulness, and melt mine eyes to tears.

But drops of tears can ne'er repay the debt of love I owe. Here, Lord, I give myself away; 'tis all that I can do
This hymn was written in 1707 by Isaac Watts.

Beautiful the Blood
I never knew death could be so sweet
I never knew surrender could feel so free
I never seen such meekness in majesty
That the blood of Jesus was bled for me

And now I sing freedom for all my days
It's only by the power of the cross I'm raised
The King of Glory rescued me

How beautiful the blood flow
How merciful the love show
The King of glory poured out
Victorious are we now

Never knew through these nails would love unfold
And never knew these wounds would heal my soul
I've never seen such beauty and sorrow meet
The blood of Jesus was bled for me

Written by Steve Fee, 2007

Are you washed in the blood? Read 1 Corinthians 6:11. This verse is some powerful stuff! "But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God"

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I loved this version of the songs together. I hope we do it again in simple service sometime soon :)