Friday, March 27, 2009

Text Messaging....


I love text messaging. I love the fact that in just a few seconds, I can send a message, through my phone, to a friend. In just a minute, I can send several text messages to others and relay to them a message that would take longer to tell if I had to call them. Text messaging comes in handy when I only have a few moments and I need to get some information to someone. For example, if I’m late to a meeting; I text. If I’m on my way to lunch with someone; I text. I love to text. Do you?
I didn’t always enjoy text messages. In fact, a few years ago, I couldn’t stand them! I thought they were a waste of time, a waste of effort, and an impersonal way to communicate. If you were to ask my family or friends, they could tell you that I used to not be a fan of text messages. What changed mind, you may ask? I believe what helped me was seeing how important it was to others and seeing the benefits they had with using it day to day. Over time, I developed a love for text messaging. Now, I can’t stop!
The Word of God can be viewed as God’s message to us through His text. Growing up, I had no care for the Word. I looked at the Bible as something others were passionate about, but my thoughts were like that of text messaging; a waste of time, effort, and an impersonal means of communication. I didn’t see the need for the Word as Peter describes as our “pure Spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up into salvation” (1 Peter 2:2). I often times would go to church and sit in the pew, completely bored of what others around me found to be exciting; the Word. However, just like text messaging, I didn’t realize what I was missing.
When I entered college, I quickly developed a love for God’s Word, His Text. I went to several college worship services that had preachers come and teach us the beauty of God’s Word. I remember going to bed on so many nights excited about the next day of what I was going to read. I remember thinking to myself, “Why didn’t I see the importance of God’s Word earlier”?!! From those days, until now, I realize that God’s Word covers the beginning of time; it shows His effort in bringing us to salvation through His Son, and reveals how personal He is by giving us His infallible Word. Now, I can’t stop reading His Word!


Today, I’d like to ask you a few questions:

1. How important is His Word to you?
2. How often do you read His Word?
3. What does His Word teach you about the following?
a. Creation (Read Genesis 1-2)
b. Sin (Read Genesis 3:1-7, James 2:10, Romans 3:23, 6:23)
c. Salvation (Read Genesis 3:21, Romans 5:1-8)
4. These are just some of many incredible passages found in God’s Word. Remember that God’s Word teaches you about His Nature, His Justice, His Grace, and His Glory! Before you close your Bible, read Psalm 119…as much as time allows! This passage of Scripture is 176 verses long; all dealing with God’s Amazing Word
Pray today for God to reveal more of Himself to you through His perfect Word.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Haha...I can't believe you compared God's word to text messaging!!! And yet, you make a good point...