Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Devils made me Blue

On this past Saturday, I had the privilege of making money by working security for the A.C.C. tournament. By working two basketball games, the security money went to help students attend camp this summer. It was a joy to serve, for only that purpose. It made me grateful, however, that I don't do that kind of work for a living.

The first game was fun. I say that, because my job was to serve as the "walmart greeter" to those that walked into the dome. Although, I didn't get to see much of the first game, I still got to stand and greet people as they entered. It was fun. The fans coming in were in great moods. the first game flew by with no problems.

Well, the second game was quite a different story. I had to work security in the upper bleachers. This game was between Duke and Maryland. My assignment was to stand behind Duke fans and make sure they didn't walk across the fire exit aisle. (This lane was dangerous and they weren't allowed to walk on it due to the fire code.) My job really was to protect them. My job was to keep them safe. Well, I was trying to help...Duke fans. I know now why they call them the Blue DEVILS. I've never had so many people upset with me in such a small period of time. I gave them all the same message; "do not walk across this aisle." It was rough. One guy, whom everyone in the stands knew and some even got his autograph, was in disbelief when I wouldn't let him cut across the aisle. One guy smiled, and KEPT WALKING DOWN IT! (I gladly called the supervisor for him.) I gave everyone the same message, the same warning, and few of them actually listened. I went home feeling blue...because of those devils. I can't wait for baseball to begin.

It made me think about evangelism. When we die, we will face judgment. It doesn't matter who we are. It doesn't matter what wealth we may have or what social status we may hold, we will all be held in judgment one day, in the presence of the Holy Father. We are called to preach the Gospel; to warn people of the wrath of God poured out on sinners, like you and me. We are called to preach to people the gift of grace God has given us through the death, burial, and resurrection of His Son (Read Romans 8). Same message, to all people. We all need Jesus.

They didn't listen to me that day. Many still don't listen to me when I tell them about Jesus. However, what I learned that day is that I was commissioned to still protect the people and give all fans the same instructions. No exceptions. May we preach, for the glory of God and not allow the attack of the devil to throw us off.

Romans 10:12, "For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call on Him."

Geil family, there you go. Happy Birthday Sarah!

Dave

2 comments:

Amy G said...

Nice job, Dave!

Brooke said...

What more can you expect from a blue devil??