Monday, March 23, 2009

Cancelled Bible Study and a devoted wife


Brooke, before her marathon in Washington D.C.

About 2 hours ago, I cancelled the Monday Night Bible study. Each Monday night, for the past 2 1/2 years, students and adults have gathered in our basement for a night of studying the sacred Scriptures; penned through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Tonight, our house sits empty. It's just Brooke and me here...and I'm loving it.

I think I got sick from this past weekend travels and yesterday's full day at the church. Tonight, Brooke has cooked me a nice dinner, got medicine from the store, and has made sure that I have rested. I LOVE MY WIFE. I need to get some cool bumper sticker that lets this world know that I'm taken by the most beautiful, gifted, encouraging, supporting, loving, helping,...etc. woman in this world. (It would be a long bumper sticker; so you just have to read it now on my blog today.)

I really want to stress to you the joy of marriage. I'm so discouraged by the amount of couples in my church that have recently divorced or are on the steps toward it. I look at Brooke, I look at God's Word, I look at His grace; and divorce is alien to me. While Brooke was taking care of me, Proverbs 31 came to mind. If you are single; I pray that if the Lord leads you to marriage, may it be for His glory; His Gospel. If you are married, cherish and love your spouse. Look her or him in the eyes and say those words, "I love you." ("You can add suga mama in there if you want, I like to say that from time to time and make Brooke blush,)

I need to go lie down before Brooke sees me up.


Blessings,


Dave


Proverbs 31:10-31


An excellent wife, who can find?For her worth is far above jewels. 11 The heart of her husband trusts in her,And he will have no lack of gain. 12 She does him good and not evilAll the days of her life. 13 She looks for wool and flaxAnd works with her hands in delight. 14 She is like merchant ships;She brings her food from afar. 15 She rises also while it is still nightAnd gives food to her householdAnd portions to her maidens. 16 She considers a field and buys it;From her earnings she plants a vineyard. 17 She girds herself with strengthAnd makes her arms strong. 18 She senses that her gain is good;Her lamp does not go out at night. 19 She stretches out her hands to the distaff,And her hands grasp the spindle. 20 She extends her hand to the poor,And she stretches out her hands to the needy. 21 She is not afraid of the snow for her household,For all her household are clothed with scarlet. 22 She makes coverings for herself;Her clothing is fine linen and purple. 23 Her husband is known in the gates,When he sits among the elders of the land. 24 She makes linen garments and sells them,And supplies belts to the tradesmen. 25 Strength and dignity are her clothing,And she smiles at the future. 26 She opens her mouth in wisdom,And the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. 27 She looks well to the ways of her household,And does not eat the bread of idleness. 28 Her children rise up and bless her;Her husband also, and he praises her, saying: 29 “Many daughters have done nobly,But you excel them all.” 30 Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain,But a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised. 31 Give her the product of her hands,And let her works praise her in the gates.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Wow, I don't really know what to say to that. I almost didn't leave a comment, but of course I wanted to support you...I love you so much sweetie and I am honored to be your wife. I will try to be the best support and encouragement I can be for you until Christ calls me Home. Of course, it takes a good spiritual leader to make a good wife, so in the end you're really the one deserving the praise!