Monday, March 9, 2009

2 Random Guys and a Dear Friend

I'm sitting here in my office, recovering from a busy, but incredible weekend. My students and I had the sweet joy of going to a conference called, "Dare to Share." This conference teaches the Gospel and how we are commissioned to proclaim it everywhere we go. It's such an encouraging sight to see thousands of students together, for a weekend of rejoicing in the Gospel. I'm grateful for the Lord's amazing provision over the weekend. As a youth minister, I love retreats in which my students have an appetite for God's Word. For some reason, to get away a few times a year is healthy for them to know how precious the Word is. I'm excited to spend this upcoming week with them, to see their hunger grow and to see their satisfaction found in only the Almighty.

On Saturday morning, Channing (the assistant youth minister guy, and dear friend) sat in a "youth leader only" meeting with Greg Stier, the founder of Dare 2 Share. Before the session began, I turned around and began to talk with the youth ministers around me. I'm refreshed with times in which I can meet other youth ministers and hear what the Lord is doing in their ministries. This particular morning, my soul was blessed by "2 random guys."

I turned around and met these two guys. They were both close to retirement age. They both were the leaders of their youth ministry of about 10 students. They were full time husbands, dads, employees, etc. They didn't receive any pay for their work in the church (or did they?) We engaged in conversation. They asked me the question I tend to dread: "how big is your youth group?" (I have this question, because i have a rather large youth group and it often makes people feel uncomfortable, or whatever...) Well, I answered, they smiled, said "amen," and then said something that rocked my world, "that's great, I'm sure you love them as much as we love ours." They both had smiles on their faces. I felt a few inches tall. I turned around in my chair and the session began. I didn't listen all that well because I was overwhelmed with the simple love and joy these two volunteer leaders had for their students. Here I am, 26 years old, 2 degrees behind my name, a church of around 1,000 people, and these two men had more love and joy in that moment than I did. I was blessed. These 2 random guys reminded me of the love and simplicity ministry can be. It doesn't matter if there be 10 students or 100; I'm called to simply love and teach my students the Gospel of the King. I'm reminded of Hebrews 11 with these two men (read the whole chapter; the roll call of faith, I like to call it the heroes of faith.) These two men are heroes of faith. May God continue to bless that sweet ministry and give them the joy each time they have with their students. Their faith amazes me.

Last night, I spoke with a dear friend. David, a friend of mine, is currently being trained in the special forces for the army. He comes home on the weekends to see his pregnant wife and 2 year old son. He is sacrificing to meet their needs. On the field, he is shining the light of Christ to other soldiers that need salvation. David, in the midst of trials, is giving glory to the King. Last night, he told me how grateful he was to how God was growing him in his faith. WOW! Here is a guy that was just 30 miles away from Fort Campbell, yet he called me and told me how much he loved God, wanted more of God...with being seperated from his family and working hard each day! He was grateful to how much his faith was growing. I think of passages such as James 1:2-4, "Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." Amen.

In a weekend, by God's amazing grace, I was blessed by 2 random guys and a dear friend. I re-learned (is that a word?) the simplicity and love for ministry, and the driving focus to keep running the race with great faith for the King's glory.

Blessings,

Dave

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Amen. God has truly blessed us so much, and I really don't want to forget that. Isn't it amazing how God's blessings have nothing to do with what the world counts as a blessing? Even things that we, as Christians, are tempted to consider blessings like numbers.