Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Tender Devotion

This morning, I read John 20 in what I've recently called, "My quiet time room" (for lack of a better word.) This chapter of Scripture really moved my soul. Jesus has been betrayed, mocked, abused, crucified, and now we see the third day approach. With great sorrow, we see Mary Magdalene come to the tomb early (John 20:1), to her surprise, the stone was rolled away! Her immediate response was to RUN (Brooke and Mary have something in common; they both run because of the glory of God) back to the disciples and let Peter and John know. Together, they RAN together to the tomb. Ok, should I start running now daily? I hate running. Anyways, they ran together to the tomb. It was empty. Their first response? They saw it empty, and then returned to their homes (John 20:10). I love what happens next.

Beginning in verse 11, we see Mary Magdalene weeping. As she was approached by two angels who questioned her emotions, she responded with words that touched my soul this morning; "They have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they have laid Him" (John 20:13). Jesus, in His great glory and mystery, appeared to her twice in this passage, and in the second time, she sees Him...ALIVE. What does she do? She preaches the good news to others.

This short passage really touched my soul. I love the tender devotion of Mary Magdalene; a sinful woman saved by the grace of our Savior. Her statement mentioned above really grabbed hold of my heart this morning. She was crying because of HER Lord. She wanted to be near HER Lord. It was Christ and Christ alone that saved Mary from the destruction of sin. It wasn't just a statement in Mary's life (I hear statements each week in church from people, but do they really HAVE a Savior and Lord?) She was tenderly and wholly devoted to the King. She wanted to be with the King. Praise God that the tomb was empty and the King appeared to her. What a testimony of the sweet, steadfast love of God Almighty to His redeemed people.

The story ends with Mary preaching the good news to others. She announced it. I don't wait for Easter Sunday to celebrate the empty tomb. I celebrate it daily. The tomb is empty, Christ is risen, we are redeemed. Do you live your life in such a way that holds comparison to Mary? Do you offer daily, tender devotion to the King? Do you celebrate His victory over death? Do you bring that good news to others? Read John 20 today. I pray it will grab your soul the same way it grabbed mine today.

Praise the Lord I am saved Solus Christus (by Christ alone)

Dave

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Thanks for the shout-out! I think Mary's run was a little more important than mine, but I've never made that connection so thanks for the insight. Maybe today on my run I should pray for a heart like Mary's instead of just the actions...