Thursday, April 16, 2009

From the Inside out

I love the song, "From the Inside out," by Hillsong. We sing it often on Wednesday nights with our students. It has powerful theology. I especially like the line,

"A thousand times I've failed
Still your mercy remains
And should I stumble again
Still I'm caught in your grace."

The honesty that shines in that line is encouraging. We are called to be honest with our Maker. Through Christ Jesus, we have the privilege of prayer. I find it very encouraging to admit my mistakes, my failures, my sins...because I taste and rejoice more in His grace. I don't label that grace "cheap," for I am reminded of the price my Savior paid to cleanse me with His righteousness. 2 Corinthians 5:21 reminds me of the fact that He became sin, so that I can become His righteousness. So, confessing (or to agree with the Spirit of your sin, your failures, etc.) leads you and I to taste daily and see how good our God is! (Psalm 34:8). I don't ever want to sound trite in my failures. I'm drawn to live and preach Christ crucified. Praise His Holy Name that the tomb is empty!

I need to share this with you. This morning, I went to the dentist. I sat down with Colleen, one of the new girls that works at the office. Colleen is unfamiliar with my gagging problem. Well, I wanted to keep it hidden, on the inside! I sat down and she lowered the chair...and the dental torture began. I held in as much as I could...the dark secret of my gagging. Well, I lasted just a few minutes. She placed the ice pick scraper deep in my throat...and I gagged! She jumped back and panicked. I then had to sit up and explain to her my gagging problems. (That would've been important to tell her before she opened my mouth.) Very cautiously, she laid the chair back down and continued on. Once the secret got out of my gagging, she worked from a distance and I breathed more out of my nose. 25 minutes later...I was out of there.

I should've been honest with Colleen. I should've been more open with telling her of my gag problem. It really reminded me of 1 John 1:9, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." This confession is a daily confession. We are to daily be open and in agreement with our sinful condition and our need for Christ. I was a fool to hide my gag problem. We are fools if we walk into church buildings and expect to be whitewashed tombs. I'm grateful for those that know my weaknesses and love me anyway. I'm grateful for my bride who embraces me daily and reminds me of my calling. On top of all of that, I'm grateful for my Savior King who has imputed to me the righteousness of my Father in Heaven. I'm grateful for His Holy Spirit that captivates my attention to the glory of God.

Confess daily. Be honest daily. Rejoice daily. If you have a gagging problem, confess that to your dentist.

Blessings,

Dave

1 comment:

Brooke said...

For the record I still don't think you have a gagging problem. And I'm married to you.