Friday, April 3, 2009

Empty Tomb gives absolute hope

After reading John 20, and 21, I'm overwhelmed by the good news of the empty tomb. I believe the core of my faith is found in the empty tomb. Jesus really did what He said He would do; He rose from the dead. The resurrection is absolutely amazing to me. It gives my faith foundation. It gives strength to my hope. It radiates my steps. It reminds me each day that there is indeed victory over death. Read John 20 and 21. After reading those rich chapters, I encourage you to go to itunes and listen to a sermon called, "The Tomb is Empty," preached by Tony Merida; pastor of Temple Baptist Church. Amen, the tomb is empty.

Today, this rich text came to life (as it does each day) as I visited the hospitals. Fridays are the days in which I have the joy of visiting people in the hospitals. I love praying over them. I love encouraging the families. It's such a blessing to represent the church as I step into those rooms. Well, today, I was taught the importance of the empty tomb. Without the empty tomb, my faith is in vain.

Phyllis is a saint. She is a dear elderly woman from my church that may be on the last few days, weeks, or months of her life. She has been in and out of the hospital with heart problems. Due to a severe heart attack not too long ago, she is bound to have heart problems until the day she leaves this earth. I walked into her room today, expecting to find a woman in brokeness. Instead, I found a woman with joy and anticipation for glory. How can this be? I believe she has found hope in the empty tomb. Amen. To God be the glory. Praise Him for the empty tomb. I'm jealous, Phyllis. Rejoice in the presence of the King.

Westin is a 14 year old boy that just received news that he has cancer. His head was hanging low as I walked into his room today. What kind of words can I offer to him? Am I to say things like, "it's going to be ok?" or am I to say, "you'll be fine?" I believe those words can be offered with great intentions, but with little hope. I sat down next to Westin. I placed my arms around him and shared with him Matthew 6:19-21. With a smile on his face, he asked me to write the passage on his board. Right now, I imagine Westin is in his bed, staring at that rich text from God's Word. Amen. Westin can find hope in Christ. Why? Because of the empty tomb. Please pray for Westin. May he wake up daily with hope that never fails. May he wake up each day, celebrating the empty tomb.

Why is the empty tomb so important? I believe it demonstrates to us daily the hope that we have in Christ. He has paid our debt. He has given us victory over death. He has given us the gift of the Father. Look at this passage with me; 55 “O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR VICTORY? O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR STING?” 56 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law; 57 but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord. (1 Corinthians 15:55-58). Within this, I find comfort in passages such as: "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" (Philippians 1:21.) and Galatians 2:20 "I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me."

The empty tomb reminds us all that Christ, who became sin, who know no sin, was not defeated by sin. He placed our sin upon His cross, but won the victory with the empty tomb. Praise the Lord, He is risen! Amen! May we celebrate, rejoice, and share the good news of the empty tomb to others. Where is your hope? Do you carry absolute hope in the only One that can truly save you from the sting of death?

I love this hymn. Sing it with me. Have a great weekend ahead.


My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.
Refrain:

On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.
When darkness veils His lovely face,

I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.
His oath, His covenant, His blood

Support me in the whelming flood;
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay.
When He shall come with trumpet sound,

Oh, may I then in Him be found;
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

How is Westin doing now?? I am so encouraged by the courage of a young man facing a bittersweet prognosis.