Thursday, April 23, 2009

Some fun in Romans last night

Last night, I had the sweet joy of preaching Romans 5:1-10 to my high school students. I love this text. It reminds me of the grace we have to be justified in our faith in Christ. Justification by faith alone in Christ alone is indeed the root of Christianity. It is the concrete that holds the structure together. All doctrines connect to this truth. When other things are added...then heresies begin. For the message, I used resources such as: "Don't waste your life" by John Piper and "In my place He stood condemned" by Mark Dever and J.I. Packer. Here's a recap of what I preached on:

1. Don't waste your life by waiting..."through Christ"
-this covered the first two verses of Romans 5. I love how the text shows "through Christ" twice. It reminds me that we are justified (dikaioo, to render, to show innocence, etc.) in Christ alone. I don't stand as a guilty sinner in the presence of God Almighty. Instead, I stand as a redeemed, justified, righteous, adopted child; because of Christ. I'd encourage you to read Ephesians 2:18, 3:12 and Hebrews 10:19. When I was 14, I had the sweet privilege of going to a Jars of Clay concert. My youth minister gave me a backstage pass before we arrived to the show. This pass gave my access to the band! I was able to go behind the curtain and meet the guys that I used to listen to in my room. I was boasting in that backstage pass all night. Jesus Christ, our great High Priest (read Hebrews 5 and 7), gives us unlimited access to the Father! We go to Him, redeemed, righteous, and holy; because of this doctrine of justification. Sick stuff!

2. Don't waste your life by waiting...through the trials of this world = eternal hope.
-this covered verses 3-5. Here, I talked about the persecutions we often receive when it comes to our faith. This world, this fallen world, hates truth (read 1 John). I pointed the students' attention to 2 Timothy 3:12. When I was in high school, I was in the marching band. I hated band camp. One summer, a bee flew over and stung my nose! I dropped my horn and ran around the field screaming. I went home and told my parents I HATED band! Even today, as a 27 year old, I have no desire to go to band camp to suffer. Christ redeemed me from the curse f the law (Galatians 3:13). Through His blood, through His obedience, through His resurrection, I am redeemed! Therefore, I can go through trials for His glory, for I know my treasure is found in Him. I encourage you to read the lyrics from the hymn, "Solid Rock." I love this hymn! I love the line, "my hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness, I dare not trust the sweetest frame, but wholly lean on Jesus' name." Sick!

3. Don't waste your life by waiting...through the atonement of Christ.
-this covered verses 6-8. You can preach an entire year's message on these verses! Well, I spent only 15 minutes in them. I love the word: atonement. Erickson defines it as, "the work of Christ that makes possible the restoration of fellowship between individual believers and God." Sick! We are restored to God, through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. I explained to the students the importance of the Day of Atonement. Read Leviticus 16. It's really cool. 2 goats brought in, 1 slaughtered for the penalty of sin, 1 spared for the fact that we are made right, made clean... 1 dead, 1 alive. We are dead in our sins, but alive in Christ!!! Read Ephesians 1:7. It's sick stuff.

4. Don't waste your life by waiting...through the gift of reconciliation.
-this covered verses 9-10. I love this world: reconcile. It basically means, "to bring together." We are brought together, to God, in Christ, for His glory. Read 2 Corinthians 5:21, Hebrews 7:25, and 1 John 2:1. The gift of Christ gave us the joy of being restored to God Almighty. It reminded me of the fact that a recent gift from a family member has made my dream of going back to school...a possible reality. He made it possible, he brought together my hopes of going to school by making a way. John 14:6 reminds us all that the gift of Jesus, the Son of God, who is the way, the truth, the life...has given us reconciliation with our Creator, our Father. Soli Deo Gloria!!

To God be the Glory, Fanny Crosby, 1875.

To God be the glory, great things He has done;
So loved He the world that He gave us His Son,
Who yielded His life an atonement for sin,
And opened the life gate that all may go in.

O perfect redemption, the purchase of blood,
To every believer the promise of God;
The vilest offender who truly believes,
That moment from Jesus a pardon receives

Praise the Lord, praise the Lord,
Let the earth hear His voice!
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord,
Let the people rejoice!
O come to the Father, through Jesus the Son,
And give Him the glory, great things He has done.

2 comments:

Bill said...

Dave, Loved your lesson last night, and enjoyed a review today. God bless you, Brother!

Brooke said...

Man, I wish I was as smart as you and could read as much as you. Thank you for making something positive out of the condition of my Papa's heart during our visit. I pray that God's word has sunk into their hearts and maybe someone will accept His calling as a result.