Thursday, April 30, 2009

The sweet joy of sitting


You can't see him very well, but this is Brad; leading an obstacle course...for the glory of God. (Brad is the guy on the right, now the small guy about to enter the tube hall)

Last night, I sat during our middle school service. Besides doing the media shout, I had the joy of just sitting and participating. As a youth minister, it brings me great joy to observe and give opportunities to college students to lead. Last night, Brad, a 21 year old youth leader in the ministry, preached the middle school message. It was a great message for the students. The content was strong, the illustrations were helpful, and the delivery was given with great confidence. It brought peace to my soul to see another college student step up and lead.


Sometimes I wonder if ministry leaders would benefit more if they intentionally sat once a month and allowed college students to lead. I wonder if student ministers spend time equipping and encouraging college students to lead. Please permit me for a moment to share with you a short history of my relationship with Brad.

I first met Brad when I accepted the call to the student ministry at Summit in November, 2005. Brad was one of the first students to welcome me to the church. He was a part of the 2006 senior class; my first class at the church. They were a great group. Brad left after high school and went to college in Kentucky. After a discouraging first year of school, he left and returned home. For a short while, Brad worked at the hospital and spent his free time just having fun. He was living a pretty easy, young adult life. However, by God's gracious design, Brad developed a stronger hunger for the Word. I've observed him in the past several months diving deep into Scripture with great anticipation. His excitement has moved from the newest album or dvd to a great truth he discovered while studying the Word. Instead of speaking about upcoming shows, Brad comes into my office with one thing on his mind; He wants to talk about his Savior. Last night, Brad preached for the first time in the middle school service. After what the Spirit did through him last night, I'm convinced he will be preaching more.

Invest in your college students. Remind them of their great value to the bride. I'm blessed to work in a church that has recently stepped up the college ministry by bringing on a ministry leader who has taught great truths to eager ears. It is such a sweet joy to simply sit and watch God make His glory known through a college student. Oh to see more college students crave His Word like a baby craves for milk.

Read Psalm 119. 176 verses... the power of His Word never ceases to amaze me. In fact, I'm going to read now...within the sweet joy of simply sitting.

Soli Deo Gloria!

Dave

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Wow, we are so lucky aren't we?? We have some awesome students and it's so much fun now to see them graduate and begin to live mature, adult lives. This adds a whole new perspective to youth ministry :)