Monday, May 4, 2009

Challenged

This past Sunday, I had the rich blessing of experiencing a day of academic sessions held at my church along with my church family. Carl Kerby, one of the speakers that works for the Answers in Genesis conference, delivered 4 powerful sessions that dealt with some of the issues that are in our culture when it comes to creation vs. evolution. One session dealt with the effect of media on today's culture. The hours flew by as I sat at the edge of my seat wanting to absorb as much as I could in that day. I know, I'm a nerd at heart, but it was so sweet to experience a day like that, with Summit. The Word of God does tell us that, "'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND" Matthew 22:37. I sometimes wonder if Christians make the effort to worship and love their Lord with their minds? This past Sunday, I was given another gentle reminder of the importance of studying.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say that in order to truly love the Lord, you must get several degrees of higher education. Some of the wisest people I know have never stepped into a graduate level program. What I am saying is that as born again believers, we must take the steps necessary to study and know our faith. We must approach it first as a gift. I am a sinner saved only by the grace of God Almighty. As I was reminded in Hosea 13:4 today, there is no salvation offered, but through the Lord. I believe to know our faith requires our time and effort to daily study and immerse ourselves in His Word. My good friend Ben and I often meet to discuss Scripture. I enjoy those times, for our talks are centered on God and His truth...and not our mere opinions. Studying His Word leads us to have answers...and to know how to approach this world in a way that brings honor and glory to His Name.

This verse was used alot on Sunday; "but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence" (1 Peter 3:15). I believe there is great truth in this verse. Within the joy of being sanctified (growing in the likeness of Christ), we get to experience the sweetness of being ready to make a defense, to give an answer, an account for the everlasting hope we have in Him! The platform for evangelism is found as we are sanctified in Christ.

John 17:17 tells us that His Word sanctifies us. Christ is the Word. We study the Word to know how to proclaim and defend the Word. It is beautiful. It is worth the study. It is indeed challenging, but what a race to run. I refuse to quit until I make it to the finish line and receive His crown of glory...

Soli Deo Gloria!

Dave

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I loved hearing this guy speak!! He was able to speak intelligibly, truthfully, and biblicly on some of the most difficult questions Christians face from the (mostly) atheist world. I can't wait to read the book we bought, then maybe I'll be able to respond for myself :)