Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Touch of Grace


This is Brooke and me on the very couch that I thought the touch was gone...
Ephesians 2:8-9: "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast."

Praise God Almighty that we are saved by His grace; our sins are atoned for by the blood of His only Son! It is something that we don't earn or receive on our own, but only by His grace. It's a sweet testimony of His steadfast love that is so often mentioned in Hosea. It brings me to my knees in love with my Savior. It reminds me that nothing else has redeemed me from the curse of the law (read Genesis 2:15-17, 3:1-7, 15-21 then connect them to Galatians 3). Praise God.

Last night, while watching American Idol with Brooke (it is out of love for her that I watch that show now...2 of the 3 remaining guys left really annoy me), I did something stupid. I have a bad habit of allowing my clumsy nature to break valuables. (I've dropped cell phones in toilets, on the concrete, etc.) Well, last night, while not paying attention to what was around me, my ipod touch fell out of my pocket and into a deep crack in our couch. This was the only crack that had no exit. In other words, it was stuck...in a wooden box that the smart furniture people put under the cushion. Destroying the couch was an idea...but Brooke didn't want to do that. I gave up, for my hand wouldn't fit in the crack. My own efforts were futile. I was broken and on the urge of weeping for the loss of the ipod touch. However, to my suprise, Brooke rescued it! She never gave up on it. After getting several tools from the kitchen, she was able to move the touch to a corner of the box, and with scissors, get it out! I was amazed. I was moved. I saw my wife's graceful touch get my touch out of the couch. Our dog just stared at me confused.

Its a silly story, but it taught me a valuable illustration. In my own efforts, I am unable to be made righteous in the presence of the Almighty. However, God, being full of mercy, gave me His grace; His pardon of my sin by placing the consequence on His only Son. I love how Ephesians 1:7 paints the picture of that amazing grace: "In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace." His favor, His rescue, has given us the collection of His joy, His security, His treasure, His presence for all eternity.


Soli Deo Gloria!


Dave

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I love you :) You're such an amazing man. I really lucked out on this arrangement!