Wednesday, May 27, 2009

1 Kings 18...Kill me if I don't preach the Gospel

This morning, I read 1 Kings 18 during my quiet time. I grew up loving this story; the story of Elijah on Mount Carmel with the 450 priests of Baal. I love the passion and faith of Elijah and the willingness to put his life on the line to be a messenger of the glory of God. Take a moment and read 1 Kings 18:20-46 (because of the length of the passage, I decided not to put it all on here). After reading that passage, open your thoughts to some of these questions:

1. Do you have that same boldness daily to proclaim the glory of God?
2. Do you stand up for the truth of the Gospel in the midst of the deceptions in this world that include: false religions, humanism, hedonism, etc.
3. Do you rejoice and treasure God daily that His presence through His Spirit comes as natural to you as the presence of God in Elijah's life?
4. Is God ALmighty a reality to you...or just a mere thought and simple, weekly church attendance?

After having coffee this morning with my friend Dan Ratcliffe, I drove back to the office and listened to Lecrae. If you haven't heard of Lecrae, go to itunes and check them out. Lecrae is a rap group that focuses completely on the glory of Christ in His Word. I don't really like rap music all that much, but I haven't found many bands that paint such a beautiful and accurate picture of Christianity then this group. Check them out. Read their lyrics. One line this morning really jumped out to me, "Lord, kill me if I don't preach the Gospel." That line really shattered me (mixed in with too much coffee). I believe that our passion must be like Elijah. May we truly be "living sacrifices" as Romans 12:2 teaches. May we rebel against the conformity of sin that many taste here in American culture, and may we strive to be passionate about the glory of God in our lives. I love that line. I love 1 Kings 18. I love the Word. May we be as bold as Elijah today, for the advancement of the Risen Savior we treasure.

Soli Deo Gloria!

Dave

1 comment:

Brooke said...

You should ask Dave to rap. It's really funny :)
I love you sweetie!