Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Summer Psalms begins


Tomorrow, we will begin a new series with our students that is entitled: Summer Psalms. For the course fo the summer, we will be going through Psalms 1, 8, 19, 23, 40, 51, 63-66, 90, 119 (for 2 weeks), 139, and 150. Our goal is to teach our students the riches of God's treasured Word. It's amazing to me to read beautiful journal entries from the hands of those that the Spirit annointed to give us the Word. Tomorrow night, I'll begin with the high school, as Channing begins with the middle school, on Psalm 1. From that text, I have gathered:


1. There is a sweet happiness (a fulfillment) when we walk with the Lord
a. V.1

2. The Word gives us our daily delight/joy.
a. V.2

3. The result of walking with the Lord is eternal success
a. V.3, 6

4. The punishment for not living for God is scattered failure/rejection


Oh how I love the treasures from His Word. I enjoy the beauty that resides within the pages. It excites me to open it up and teach it to students. Does His Word excite you? This morning, I read several passages that woke me up after a long day of traveling from Paris to the States. Psalm 143:8 really struck a chord in my soul: "Let me hear Your lovingkindness in the morning; For I trust in You; Teach me the way in which I should walk; For to You I lift up my soul." Man, I love this verse! I love it how the Psalmist writes about wanting to hear of the lovingkindness of the Lord...in the morning. Why? Because He trusts in Him. Do you trust in the Lord and find all your treasure and worth in His treasure and worth? I read these books while on my trip with Brooke:


In Your Joy

For Your Joy

Spectacular Sins (all 3 by John Piper)


Easy, but great reads. I strongly recommend them (I thank Ben for telling me about them). May His Spirit draw you to find excitement when you wake up in the morning and delight in His Word (As Psalm 1 so beautifully teaches). May you find your delight in Him alone. May you cling to what is good and abhor what is evil (Romans 12).


I'm excited about this new series. I'll blog later on my trip to Paris with Brooke. Wow, what beauty...however, what a city that needs Christ. Maybe someone there will wake up, read Psalm 1, and find delight in the Lord that will lead them to preach Christ crucified to a lost city.


Soli Deo Gloria!


Dave

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I pray that it went well last night. I know we are so blessed to have these students and I pray that this word that God laid on your heart was a blessing to them!