Thursday, May 21, 2009

Thursdays empty my thoughts

I normally don't go into the office on Thursdays. I've noticed that on these days, my mind tends to go empty when it comes to deep thoughts. I think that after a week of teaching, preaching, studying, leading, planning, attending (meetings, that is), and other elements of my position, my brain takes a day off on Thursdays. Today, is no different. I've been refreshed by the Word. Today, I read 1 Corinthians 8. I love this rich chapter. It was a challenge for me to be sensitive to those that aren't as deep in Biblical understanding and practical living as me. For example, Paul makes note of those that are scared to eat meat due to their belief that it was contaminated with evil spirits (the meat was sold in the market after being used for idol worship). Paul encourages believers not to look down or argue with them, but to show grace and compassion to their lack of understanding. As a youth minister, I struggle with this. I often times paint in my mind pictures of what I want students to know at their age. The irony is found in the fact that when I was their age, I was much weaker in the faith. Oh what a wonderful Savior I worship, for in His grace, He led Godly men in my life that slowed down and helped me understand, instead of looking down on me for my lack of understanding.

Soli Deo Gloria!

Dave

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I hope you enjoy your day off today :) I thank the Lord for the godly men that He put in your life too. I also thank Him for your godly parents. What a blessing!