Friday, May 15, 2009

Young Preachers of the Gospel


This morning, Brooke and I had the sweet privilege of going to Kennesaw Mountain High School F.C.A. It was their last meeting of the year. Within this meeting, one of our own students preached the Gospel. The message was theological, passionate, and completely center around the glory of God in His Word. The message was entitled: Stop Trying, with a focus on Galatians. The 25 minute message left many students speechless as the Word of Christ was dwelling in them richly (Colossians 3:16). It was a sweet morning. It opened my eyes to appreciate and praise God for bringing young preachers of the Gospel to schools.


" Let no one look down on your youthfulness, but rather in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity, show yourself an example of those who believe" (1 Timothy 4:12).

My current role in ministry is to lead students from grades 6th-12th. In my last 8 years of student ministry leadership, I've seen a growing habit of adults not seeing with their own eyes the privilege of investing in young preachers of the Gospel. Some adults have the tendency to think of teenagers as: "immature, rebellious, un-disciplined, lacking respect, ignorant, etc." I have to admit, I've met some that fits the bill! However, in sweet moments, like this morning, in which I get to see a 17 year old preach the Gospel with the same passion and accuracy as a 45 year old trained seminary guy, it reminds me of what Paul was trying to communicate to Timothy in the verse mentioned above. Does your church have young preachers of the Gospel? Are you too wrapped up in your own bubble that you lack the opportunity to observe? I encourage you, or better yet, challenge you to invest in the young people in your church (if you attend church).

C.H. Spurgeon is one of my heroes of the faith. I'm amazed by his life. I read his biography last month, and was blown away by the way the Spirit used him to preach the Gospel in England. At 19 years of age, Spurgeon became the pastor of the New Park Street Chapel, possibly one of the largest churches in Europe at the time. He was often criticized for his young age. However, he didn't allow the comments to slow him down. He preached the Gospel with great faithfulness and confidence. He was a mighty young preacher of the Gospel that paved the way for the 45 year old seminary guys to study. (I would argue that David Platt and Mark Driscoll are modern day, Spurgeon type preachers; both with their age and theology).
Who are the young preachers that you know?

I was reminded of the heroes of the faith this morning as I watched a 17 year old boldly proclaim the Gospel in his school. A young preacher of the Gospel made my Friday.

Soli Deo Gloria!


Dave

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I have to admit, this was possibly the perfect way to start the day! I am constantly reminded of how much I look up to these students!!