Monday, April 27, 2009

My first attempt in reaching parents

It's Monday afternoon and I'm resting in my office after a great weekend. I'm so grateful for the vision my gracious Lord gave me a year and a half ago in planning a weekend to equip parents. This past weekend, that vision became a reality as over 50 parents gathered together for a time of fellowship, worship, and discipleship. What a sweet joy it was to see families gathered together, in the midst of tears and laughter, for a time of renewal. I'm grateful for all the parents that were able to attend. The sessions were divided into the following:

1. Know the Word (Do parents know the Word? Do they understand the riches and treasures of Scripture? Do they know it well enough to teach their children?)

2. Teach the Word (Do parents actively engage in teaching their children Scripture as much as they teach them how to: ride a bike, tie a shoe, drive a car, etc.)

3. Share the Word (Do families worship together? I've seen a trend of churches dividing their corporate worship services by age...what a tragedy. Families that worship and serve together produce such beautiful obedience to the King.)

Dr. Allen Jackson, who has become a dear friend of mine, led in these sessions. Allen is a professor of youth ministry at the New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary. His leadership, led by the Spirit, was truly a blessing. I praise the Lord for the miracle He performed in Allen's mom. She had quadruple bypass surgery on Wednesday of last week...and went home yesterday! Amen!

James Tealy, a dear friend of mine from New Orleans, along with his friend Jacob, led us in music. What a blessing that turned out to be. The passion for the Lord that is so deeply immersed in James, was a source of refreshment for my soul. This world needs more James Tealys.

My heart still is burdened for parents. My desire is for them to step up daily and be leaders in their home. I'm growing tired of the weekly routines of "drop my kid off at your church and you fix them." Oh, to see parents rise up and preach the matchless Word of Christ in their homes...what a day that will be! As I stated in an earlier blog months ago...I'm not a glorified babysitter. I'm a minister of the Gospel. If that means going past students in order to reach their parents for Christ...then so be it. My prayer today is that the Gracious, Perfect, Holy, and Sovereign Lord will transform homes for His glory.

Just a short reflection from a great weekend. Soli Deo Gloria!

Blessings,

Dave

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I pray that God will strengthen our parents and will create a revival in the homes of our students. I pray for Godly wisdom and discernment in their relationships.